ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: TELL me how many objects I am deleting!

(1/4) > >>

Curt:
Yesterday I downloaded a video course, size 10GB (TEN GIGAbytes). It was extremely tiring because the download speed was between 40 to 80 KILObytes per sec. Then removing a couple of old files, I failed to notice that the downloaded 10GB zip container also was marked. And Yes, I used Shift+Delete = Totally Gone!

We know it, at least from giveawayoftheday and support fora, people forget to READ, before clicking. Me too. So my idea is to have a program say out loud the number of objects I am about to delete, when Windows' pop-up box is asking me if I am sure I want to delete these objects. TELL me "three", so I get one extra chance to wake up in time!
 :tellme:

Ath:
Hm, yes it's a nice idea, but that is not going to stop you, or me, from deleting just one too many, especially if it's yelling fifteen! or forty-five! at me :(

JavaJones:
Why use Shift-delete at all in that case? I used to actually turn off the recycle bin altogether so everything just got deleted, but I lost one too many things that way (although there are tools that can help with deleted files of course, they're still a pain). Now I just use the recycle bin 99% of the time and it works just fine. Not sure what I was thinking previously. ;)

- Oshyan

wraith808:
Why use shift-delete?  If you use normal delete (and set your recycle bin to a reasonable amount of space) it will tell you if you delete something large unknowingly, and give you some time on smaller things.

f0dder:
Grab Recuva, it can save your hide the next time you accidentally delete something. But you have to use it right after you delete the stuff, you should restore to a different partition (last I checked it couldn't do in-place restore, or perhaps I'm remembering wrongly), and you'll need to triple-check the recovered file content to see it isn't partial garbage.

In spite of all those warnings, it's a pretty nifty tool, and it's saved my ass a couple of times when fumble-fingered a shift-delete :). For "serious" recovery, you'll need something like Runtime Systems GetDataBack, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version