ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Evil Side of Nature

<< < (3/7) > >>

JennyB:
But I'm glad I *didn't* see mice crawling in and out of the innards of a still-living animal at the same time. :P-JavaJones (April 10, 2011, 08:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I saw something like that in person when I was a young child. My older brother had a small pet lizard of some sort and fed it mealwormsw. Well, apparently the lizard ate them whole, without chewing or otherwise killing them. They ate their way out from the inside of the lizard.
-Deozaan (April 11, 2011, 01:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

:o That is just wrong, dammit. Of course I've heard of such things before, mostly with wasps laying eggs in say a spider and then them eating their way out when they hatch. But somehow when it's not insects/arachnids, it's more creepy...

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (April 11, 2011, 01:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's just your mammalian chauvinism.  ;)

Have you ever read "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek"?

Stoic Joker:
But oddly, from WP:

Mealworms are typically used as a food source for reptile, fish, and avian pets. They are also provided to wild birds in bird feeders, particularly during the nesting season, when birds are raising their young and appreciate a ready food supply. Mealworms are high in protein, which makes them especially useful as a food source. They are also commonly used for fishing bait.
--- End quote ---

:huh:
-Renegade (April 11, 2011, 02:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

...And that's why chewing is so important.

:D

wraith808:
Also from WP, for more squick factor:
Human consumption
Mealworms may be easily raised on fresh oats, whole wheat bran or grain, with sliced potato or carrots and little pieces of apple as a water source.
Mealworms have been incorporated into tequila-flavored novelty candies. However, mealworms are not traditionally served in tequila or mezcal drinks, the latter sometimes containing a larval moth (Hypopta agavis).

--- End quote ---

JavaJones:
That's just your mammalian chauvinism.  ;)
-JennyB (April 11, 2011, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Of course!
Have you ever read "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek"?

--- End quote ---

Nope.

- Oshyan

Deozaan:
But oddly, from WP:

Mealworms are typically used as a food source for reptile, fish, and avian pets. They are also provided to wild birds in bird feeders, particularly during the nesting season, when birds are raising their young and appreciate a ready food supply. Mealworms are high in protein, which makes them especially useful as a food source. They are also commonly used for fishing bait.
--- End quote ---

:huh:
-Renegade (April 11, 2011, 02:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly. That's why my brother fed mealworms to the lizard. I'm sure that's what the pet shop recommended.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version