topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Hats off to USPS for innovative tracking scheme...  (Read 8324 times)

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hats off to USPS for innovative tracking scheme...
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Having ordered a product from the USA (to AU), I was expectedly interested in being able to track progress of said item.
I was provided with a USPS tracking number from the supplier, but it didn't seem to work. On querying, the response was:
Please note that the tracking number provided is not very good since USPS International tracking numbers are recycled.  In addition, the tracking number provided does not actually go into affect until it reaches the final destination so you cannot tell where the package is while in route.

Let me guess...if you opt for premium shipping, they won't deliver your parcel?

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hats off to USPS for innovative tracking scheme...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Oh yeah, love USPS tracking. It's brilliant. :D

- Oshyan

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:18 PM »
I think I'll market myself as a political pundit who predicts the winner of the previous Presidential Election. :)

USPS tracking motto should be "you can't get there from here."

edit: on second thought, should be: "you can't get it there from here." :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:00 PM by MilesAhead »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Yep. USPS tracking is pretty much a joke.

I've got an item that shipped on April 5th and it says the estimated delivery date is April 25th. What the smurf? 20 days?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 07:57 PM »
Well, I'm going to go against the conventional wisdom here...  I'm actually a fan of USPS, and will opt for it over UPS or FedEx ground if I'm given the choice - I find it's faster and generally much cheaper. And they deliver on Saturday (though I expect that might be something that goes away sometime in the next few years as a cost cutting measure).

However, I'll admit that I don't expect their tracking for non-express packages to be of much use (maybe the the tracking is helpful if a shipment gets lost?), and I certainly can't say what their international shipping record might be like.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 09:21 PM »
@mwb1100  sometimes you get lucky on those free shipping deals where they send 4th class mail.  Often the package shows only a day or 2 later than the paid option.

Still, it is funny when the tracking only works after the package arrives.  Like, if the election results are only tallied after the inauguration. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:05 AM »
Well, I'm going to go against the conventional wisdom here...  I'm actually a fan of USPS, and will opt for it over UPS or FedEx ground if I'm given the choice - I find it's faster and generally much cheaper. And they deliver on Saturday (though I expect that might be something that goes away sometime in the next few years as a cost cutting measure).

There are a number of things I like about USPS. I was just chiming in on this thread's topic which is specifically about USPS's tracking system.

The other thing you have to remember about the USPS is that it is subsidized with your tax dollars and they don't have to compete to stay in business. Heck, they don't even have to be profitable. That's why the prices can be lower but some of the services (such as tracking) aren't as good as businesses who are in the business to make money and need to make money to stay in business.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:26 PM »
In my experience, the actual delivery of USPS mail is excellent, both in shipping time as well as the service provided by my letter carrier.

However, the ancillary services pretty much suck. The tracking situation is just one example; the fact that they charge so much for what other carriers provide as part of the basic service is a broader one.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Every time the US Postal Service raises their prices, I think, great, mail just got one more day slower.