topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: Copy the "Save As" filepath to the clipboard  (Read 9463 times)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: Copy the "Save As" filepath to the clipboard
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:11 PM »
Let me know if this isn't the right forum for this.

Like most, over time I have collected a large number of program downloads, pdf's, etc.  Recently I have started "cataloging," as such, some of my new downloads, documents, etc.  I have been trying out a couple of notetaking programs for this.  The ones I have tried have the ability of clicking on a pasted complete filepath link and it will take you to the directory if it is a saved program or for documents load the associated program and the document. 

Here are the steps I use now:
From a browser or program (Word for instance) I use the "Save as" selection, find the directory and at times sub-(or sub-sub-sub) directory to save to, leave the file name and file type as it is or change it and save.  Then I have to open a file manager, drill back down through the directories to where it was saved, copy the filepath, paste to the note page I am creating and add any tags/notes.  I also like this way because I can also add a screenshot to the note if I want to.

I'm trying to minimize the steps a little. 

After doing the "Save as" I'd like to not have to go back through and find the saved file with a file manager to get a copy of the complete file path to paste to the note page.  Here's what I'm wondering... Is there a way to also send a copy of the complete "Save as" file path to the clipboard (or to Clipboard Help+Spell) at the same time as the file is being saved?  I could then just bring up the clipboard (or CH+S), paste it to the note and add whichever extra is needed for the program to recognize it as a link.

I have searched through the forums here and on some other sites but haven't found anything similar discussed.

Thanks,

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Copy the "Save As" filepath to the clipboard
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 07:50 AM »
I bought XYplorer Friday on the BDJ special.  It's great!  I think I may be able to do what I'm looking for with it.  Or use it in place of what I'm trying with a notetaking program.  So this can probably moved to "solved."

Winkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Copy the "Save As" filepath to the clipboard
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 09:51 AM »
  • I bought XYplorer Friday on the BDJ special.  It's great!
  • I think I may be able to do what I'm looking for with it. 
  • Or use it in place of what I'm trying with a notetaking program.
  • So this can probably moved to "solved."
  • Congratulations, nice to hear you like it too.
  • If you want to put XYplorer to good use I have a suggestion for you for the sorting:
    I save everything in one folder and then use XYplorer to move everything to the right place. Either by using "Move To", which remembers the last used folders or by using some "Move To" User Defined Commands (UDC) (menu User). I assigned a keyboard shortcut to the "Move To" UDC-menu so when it's pressed that menu pops up at the mouse cursor position for easy access. (see screenshot below for how UDC's look like with Custom Keyboard Shortcuts)
  • You can use the tags/comments feature for that (although I have no experience with them. I did add the tagging buttons to the toolbar (also see screenshot) but haven't had time to put them to use... :( )
  • Great!
Screenshot_XYplorer_Region.png

SleepingWolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: Copy the "Save As" filepath to the clipboard
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:53 PM »
Another approach, may be simpler, and works with other programs...

Search for the strings "Copy path to clipboard" "context menu" in a good search engine... Download and install a program or small .reg registry file to add a context menu "Copy path to clipboard" to do just that (inspect it / virus scan it for safety first). Then you can do just that in windows explorer or any list of icons (such as the open/ save menu dialogues of most applications). Easy, certainly works for me.
-------------------------------------------

Question everything, use a fact-checker.
Respect yourself and respect others.
Peace out!

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:09 AM »
Another approach, may be simpler, and works with other programs...

Search for the strings "Copy path to clipboard" "context menu" in a good search engine... Download and install a program or small .reg registry file to add a context menu "Copy path to clipboard" to do just that (inspect it / virus scan it for safety first). Then you can do just that in windows explorer or any list of icons (such as the open/ save menu dialogues of most applications). Easy, certainly works for me.
-SleepingWolf (April 10, 2011, 03:53 PM)
Ctrl+P in XYplorer. No need for an extra app. :)

Anyway, in the latest (not yet official) XY version you can easily create a toolbar button or a keyboard shortcut that will append the path of the selected item to a growing list. This list is even (optionally) retained across sessions, and you can take it with you on a portable device (to collect more paths abroad ;)). At any point in time you can shoot that list up to the clipboard to paste it wherever you need it.

Look for Permanent Variables in the next XY version...

Don

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:33 PM »

Thank you for the tips!

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:24 AM »
not sure, but something like this might be what you're looking for (?)
http://www.wolosoft.com/en/copypath/

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 12:02 PM »

Thanks very much for the suggestion and the link vevola.
Tried it out and it isn't exactly what I was thinking of in my original post.  I've been getting more comfortable with the many features of XYplorer and doing similar to what Winkie suggested above.
But, CopyPath is going to be helpful to me in another way.  :Thmbsup:
I tried a test using the standard file "Open..." in Excel and Word.  After I get to whichever file I'm wanting to open I can right-click and select the copy path and there I have it to paste into any other program I may need to paste it.
I can do this already if I'm opening the file from within XYplorer with DonL's tip above.  But couldn't if it was being opened from within any other program.  Also works with lists of files I access with my Launch Bar Commander set-up if I need it to.
Thanks again!

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 05:19 AM »
BTW, less than 12 hours (and counting down) if you want to go for the 50% discount on the XY lifetime license: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyten.php