topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows Reorganizer  (Read 18074 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows Reorganizer
« on: April 08, 2011, 09:45 AM »
I would like :

Source folder : a folder of my election containing files and subfolders.
Each file has a creation date. We can exclude system files and other extensions not proper to control.
The basic idea would be : reorganize documents, audios, videos, images, and usual files by crono.

Destination folder : The coding snack give the possibility to generate or use a previosly created.
The destination folder is a crono folder :
First level of subfolders control the year : 2010 , 2011, 2012 .
Second level of subfolders control the month : 01.2010, 02.2010, 03.2010, 04.2010 , etc
Third  level of subfolders control the day : 12.01.2010 , 13.01.2010, 14.01.2010 , etc.  (for me is usually enough control the month)
This may be configurable....

Mechanic to get : when the scan found a file in the source folder analyze the creation date and copy a shortcut to the year, month , and day specified in the creation date of that file.

In other words. Is an utility organization copy creating in the destination folder the shorcuts of the original files.

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Reorganizer
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 09:03 AM »
FileGetTime

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Nobody knows ?

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:57 PM »
I abandom for the moment. I will try when I learn autohotkey or autoit.
I think you can do with these languages easily.
 ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:09 AM »
is there a difference?

Thread name = Documents Organizer
Do you know a soft to scan a folder and subfolders and output all in shorcut's mode to a destination folder organized cronologically.
That's :
source folder : By example Y:\datos
to destination folder : by example Y:\Crono
with the subfolders 2011 to make reference to year
containing the subfolder 06.2011 to make reference to month
and finally containing the subfolder 12.06.2011 to make reference to the date.
Able to control years, months, and days of the creation file.
Able to exclude from the source folder some extensions of file.

This thread:
I would like :

Source folder : a folder of my election containing files and subfolders.
Each file has a creation date. We can exclude system files and other extensions not proper to control.
The basic idea would be : reorganize documents, audios, videos, images, and usual files by crono.

Destination folder : The coding snack give the possibility to generate or use a previosly created.
The destination folder is a crono folder :
First level of subfolders control the year : 2010 , 2011, 2012 .
Second level of subfolders control the month : 01.2010, 02.2010, 03.2010, 04.2010 , etc
Third  level of subfolders control the day : 12.01.2010 , 13.01.2010, 14.01.2010 , etc.  (for me is usually enough control the month)
This may be configurable....

Mechanic to get : when the scan found a file in the source folder analyze the creation date and copy a shortcut to the year, month , and day specified in the creation date of that file.

In other words. Is an utility organization copy creating in the destination folder the shorcuts of the original files.
Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 06:27 PM »
one thread look for a snack, the other one for a made program.
One was created first. And the second after.
I will take a good look in the other. I think this soft don't exist.
I have seen similar soft for organizing multimedia, but very poorful.
 :(

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Here you go, Contro:  ContrOrganizer

Please test this on copies of your files first to make sure it does what you want.  Some notes:

• Files are moved (not copied).
  • A shortcut is created in the original location pointing to the newly-moved file.
  • Both the shortcut and the moved file have their creation date set to the creation date of the original file.
  • Should handle Unicode paths.
  • Files that are marked as hidden or as system files are skipped.
  • LNK files are skipped as well.

2011-04-22_214004.pngWindows Reorganizer
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:26 AM by skwire, Reason: Added to caveat listing. »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 05:16 AM »
Nice indeed.
I'll try. But I made this observation :
1. When I work usually don't have time to organized by date, so I organize by themes. A screenshot of my peculiar situation :

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5648/screenshot2304201195912.png
Windows Reorganizer

I translate to make understand : received documents, sent documents folders. help folder, components folder, photos, proofs, temp, security copy, final revision, and so on.

For a first organization is more powerful organize by themes usually , but when the work grow or even interacts with one or two more is difficult to control.

In my peculiar case i have other problem. I am plenty of space with seven real hard disk in my pc. I have a dedicated hard drive to photos and videos, another to documents data, and so on.

In this way what I put in the photos folder are shorcuts from the original ones in the images hard disk.

I use the CRM Goldmine to link to real or convenient folders , so if the proposed above soft move the files and convert the original ones in shortcuts I will not able to find my original links.

That's the reason because I need a simply copy or transform or my original files in shortcuts in the date data organization.

The date data organization is a way to "remember" the all project.

I am working in a way to present extensive works in chronos way and linking by themes in a special document for third persons. And then burn into a CD/DVD. So first I am able to convert all of the shortcuts into real with the splendid script Short2Real made in this same forum by 4wd .

I think this soft may be useful to many persons, because offers the opportunity to revise a project or folder organization in other way.

When you present a work to third persons is where the date organization is more relevant.

:P

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 05:22 AM »
Ouwwww. I forgot to tell that in the dedicated hard drive the photos are organized by the download date to my pc. In the dedicated hard drive O:
I used the format day.month.year, but the way I have seen year . month . day is good for me too.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1896/screenshot2304201110201.png
Windows Reorganizer

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 05:36 AM »
In other tasks, works or projects the folders are personalized and created in reason to the necessary themes. Are creative works, the folders are different according to the individual task.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8541/screenshot2304201110314.png
Windows Reorganizer

Even the use of some folders created in a date or month date.

So I need to reorganize........

In the screenshot I refer to  task 0340.10 , but imagine if I have to resume several tasks like 0340.10 , 0472.11 , 0502.11 .

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 07:47 AM »
I tried ContrOrganizer.

1. First I create a sample folder in my desktop with some files in it from differente creation dates.
2. I created the destination folder in my desktop and execute the program.

The program only create the subfolders : 2011  ,  04.2011 , 23.04.2011 because assume the date the files were copied to the sample folder I supposed.

Now I'll try to see the behaviour of soft when I tried with a shorcut in the sample folder. I observ the correct conversion to shortcuts in the sample folder orienting to the destination folder.

What will happen when a shortcut in the sample folder is found ?

I will comment

:-*

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 07:56 AM »
With a shortcut in the sample folder don't acts.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Files that are marked as hidden or as system files are skipped.  LNK files are skipped as well.

I realise that English is not your native language and I really appreciate you using it in your posts.  However, I'm having a hard time determining if the application has worked how you wanted or not.  Can you please let me know?  Thanks.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 11:42 AM »
I try my very best :

The program don't work because don't organize by creation date file.

I would like :

a) Please don't skip the lnk files or shortcuts. Copy (don't necessary move) the shortcuts to the date folder associated with the creation of the original file.

b) Copy the habitual or documents type files (images, videos, pdf, doc, xls, dwg, or as you said excluding the hidden and system files) to the date folder according to his creation date.

c) The program explores the source folder and his subfolders and copy the files to the target folder and subfolders according to the date creation of the files.

d) The target folders and subfolders may be in this structure : 2011 , 04.2011 , 23.04.2011 or perhaps is better for international the english way.

Note : If you prefer the criteria "move" files then :
1) move lnk files according to the creation date of the original or linked files to the date folders. And mantain the lnk files in the source folder.
2) move rest of recognized files according to the creation date to the date folders in the target folder.
Your initial program may accomplish my target if I simply copy my initial folder to the source folder for this operation. Then I will not lose any link with Goldmine.

Or perhaps you may propose copy or move the files.

Best Regards

Note : I think the hard situation may be when you encounter in the source folder a shortcut to a folder. Because in this case need a loop in an array to control the files. Or even - I certainly take care of not repeat inside the source folder a shortcut to the source folder - an endless loop that is controllable in an array.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:47 AM by Contro »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 04:23 PM »
I probably misunderstood your first post.  Currently the application scans the source folder and, if it finds a file that is a) not hidden or b) not a system file or c) not a .LNK file, it does the following:

1) Gets the file's creation date.
2) Creates a folder structure under your specified destination folder using the creation date elements (year, month & day).
3) Moves the file into that folder.
4) Creates a shortcut in the original file location pointing to the newly moved file.

So, a file named c:\source\myfile.txt with a creation date of February 22, 2010 would be moved into the following:

c:\destination\2010\02\22\myfile.txt

A shortcut would then be created as c:\source\myfile.txt.lnk that pointed to the moved file.  Is this not what you wanted?

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Hello skwire.

Owww. I have observed when I copy from one folder to another that the creation date file is updated to today in docs files. And the modified date is the date when that file was created.

Where can I see when the original file was created ?. In eml files from Thunderbird when I extract the creation, the modification and last access is the same.

I would like to know how determine the date of initial creation of that file, don't alter the creation date each time I copy that file to another folder.

In other words. Your program is doing well, but I don't understand why the creation date is modified when i make a copy of that file without modifying its content.

Please tell me how can I control this.

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 01:29 PM »
Hello again.

What I need is organize by modified date, because a simply copy makes the creation date today       .
I need to maintain the original "creation" date of the file.

:-*
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 02:37 PM by Contro »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 03:55 PM »
Maybe some of these tools would help, instead of one tool to do many things at once.

http://www.addictive...sed-on-date-created/

http://skwire.dcmembers.com/wb/
More specifically -

http://skwire.dcmemb...e/files-2-folder.php

http://skwire.dcmemb...e/text-2-folders.php

If you can come up with a text file to make it work.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 05:47 PM »
I'll try and comment. I was looking the autoit function FileGetTime or similar in autohotkey. But I have another problem with eml files "drag and drop" from Thunderbird. When you drag and drop an eml file from TB the date creation, modification and last access is the date you did "drag and drop".
Really when I talk to reorganize by date I assumed the date you sent or received the message.
And then I think is not a simple function to do it in autohotkey......

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 08:27 AM »
FileGetTime in AutoHotkey.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 06:54 PM »
At the present moment I don't found a program able to sort by date according to the date the document was written (not copied) or an eml email file was received or sent.A pdf was scanned by the multifunction (not copied from a folder to another), and so on.
This is more near to the modification date than to the creation date. The organization program must be "enough clever" to decide in some cases what date select, but the aim is organize by "real" date......

In the case of pictures or images interest organize by the date the photo was taken. Or the date was modified or retouch ?
In the case of screenshots by the date was taken. Or the date was modified or retouch ?

When you modify an image with Picasa the program save the originals to a subfolder.
Meet all criteria is an exhaustive organizational program I haven't seen as an independent application over the windows explorer.

The target is organize the usual documental files by the order they were created "by your hand", not by your system.