ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

PhraseExpress v8, Pro Edition, on BdJ, Tuesday 12 April, 2011

<< < (2/9) > >>

johnk:
Broke my normal golden rule about not buying programs that only offer single computer licences and actually invested in two network licences for PhraseExpress. Even for the individual user, the network version has some benefits if you use multiple machines on the same network.

I have three computers on a home network, but never more than two in use at any time, so two licences are sufficient. One of the computers is on 24/7, so that's my PE "server". The network version keeps a single version of the phrase file on the server, so all machines have access to all new phrases. Impressed with PE so far. I used to use Autohotkey for this purpose, but once you get beyond simple text replacement, PE is easier to use. I particularly like being able to save RTF or Word document snippets as phrases.

cyberdiva:
Though I probably should have posted this before the Bits du Jour offer expired, I think it might still be useful to mention that last year, the Neat Net Tricks software review panel reviewed the $139.95 version of Phrase Express.  Six panel members submitted their reports, which were in general rather negative.  Their review (with responding comments by the software developer) can be found at http://www.neatnettricks.com/?http://www.neatnettricks.com/SoftwareReviews/2010/review_Phrase-Express-Pro.html. 

wraith808:
^ OT... but do you have a subscription to neat net tricks premium?  I was wondering what the differences were, as this seems like a pretty cool site!  It's already turned me on to a new program to try.

cthorpe:
DISCLAIMER - I am not affiliated with PE in any way other than being a registered user.

I also purchased a license and am finding it to be an excellent addition to my workflow.  I have already created dozens of phrases and macros that help in everything from responding to emails to automatically writing lengthy html and php snippets.

Neat Net Tricks software review panel reviewed the $139.95 version of Phrase Express.  Six panel members submitted their reports, which were in general rather negative.-cyberdiva (April 16, 2011, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I read through the review, and I feel that they do have some valid points, but a lot of their negative comments seem excessive and repetitive.  For example, they harp on the fact that PE autostarts with Windows constantly throughout the review.  In addition, they have inserted responses from the developer throughout their review, but did not take his responses into account and edit their review in any way.  They accuse PE of being spyware more than once, even though the developer responded to each and every claim with references to their privacy policy and other pages that addressed the concerns.  Other complaints seem downright silly ("One needs also be aware that while it is only a 3.7MB download, it requires 8.3MB of space on the hard drive").

The conclusion reached by most of the members of the NNT panel is that they will not continue using the program as they do not have a use for it.  It left me wondering why they would spend so much time and energy reviewing a program and being so "nitpicky" if they aren't the target audience in the first place.

johnk:
Neat Net Tricks software review panel reviewed the $139.95 version of Phrase Express.  Six panel members submitted their reports, which were in general rather negative.-cyberdiva (April 16, 2011, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I read through the review, and I feel that they do have some valid points, but a lot of their negative comments seem excessive and repetitive.-cthorpe (April 16, 2011, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. I'm still fairly new to PE, so I'll reserve final judgement on the program at this stage, but I also found the NetNeatTricks review rather odd.

I'm not familiar with NeatNetTricks, but as cthorpe says, they seemed to be obsessed with some of yesterday's big debates.

Of course you want a program like PE to start with Windows, otherwise it loses its purpose. And unless a progam is badly written and takes up 100s of MB of disk space or RAM, I don't care about those details. Those are Windows 95 debates. Then there was the ranting about the EULA...

But the reviewers finally lost me when one said that PE had a poor GUI and a "very high and time-consuming learning curve". If you're the kind of person who's interested in using a program like PE, then you're not a beginner. You use a computer fairly intensively. And if you know your way around a PC, then PhraseExpress is easy to use. Certainly, compared to AutoHotkey, which I used to use for text replacement, PE is child's play. I've only had to use the manual twice so far, and that was to find particular commands for macros. Based on this review, I won't be spending too much time on NetNeatTricks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version