ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SpiderOak - very nice people =)

<< < (9/15) > >>

CleverCat:
You can delete historical versions of files by doing the following:

In the SpiderOak client under the 'View' tab, you can view all of the documents you have uploaded to SpiderOak. Documents which have historical versions saved will be followed by a number in parentheses which indicates how many historical versions SpiderOak has saved. They will look like this: file.doc (3) To delete any of these historical versions, click on the file, and SpiderOak will open another window to the right showing you all of your historical versions, the date they were saved, and their size. Simply select any of these files and then click the 'Remove' button to remove them from your account. (To select multiple files, just hold down the Control key and click which files you'd like to remove.)

You can also purge all your current historical versions from the commandline by running the following command:

On Mac:

Completely close SpiderOak, and be sure that all SpiderOak processes have closed correctly. Open Applications, then open the Utilities folder. From here, open the “Terminal”, and you will see an open window with a prompt at the bottom. In the prompt, please type:

/Applications/SpiderOak.app/Contents/MacOS/SpiderOak --purge-historical-versions=ALL

With SpiderOak 9713, you can prevent historical versions from being backed up by going to 'Preferences' in the client and under the 'Back Up' tab check the box that says 'Don't archive folders older than' and then enter your preference.
--- End quote ---

Hope this helps...  :Thmbsup:

tomos:
thanks for those tips CleverCat :up:

The UI is very confusing here:
under the 'View' tab, you can view all of the documents you have uploaded to SpiderOak. Documents which have historical versions saved will be followed by a number in parentheses which indicates how many historical versions SpiderOak has saved. They will look like this: file.doc (3) To delete any of these historical versions, click on the file, and SpiderOak will open another window to the right showing you all of your historical versions, the date they were saved, and their size. Simply select any of these files and then click the 'Remove' button to remove them from your account. (To select multiple files, just hold down the Control key and click which files you'd like to remove.)
--- End quote ---

The way it's phrased (in the message-box shown on clicking delete - see below), is confusing - it talks about the file/folder as opposed to the revision, so I thought it was not connected - but now I know :)

With SpiderOak 9713, you can prevent historical versions from being backed up by going to 'Preferences' in the client and under the 'Back Up' tab check the box that says 'Don't archive folders older than' and then enter your preference.
--- End quote ---

in my version 3.7.9781, the option is "Don't backup files older than:[   ][hours/days/etc]"
again, I'm not sure what exactly this means -
e.g. if I choose 3 days, does that mean it will keep revisions of a file for a period of three days prior to the last modified date of the file,
or, is it going to delete -or refuse to backup- everything older than 3 days, or... :tellme:

I guess I should be asking these questions of SpiderOak but I'll throw them out here first...

Jibz:
I am trying out SpiderOak at the moment with the free 2 GB account, and I think there are a lot of things to like about it.

I love the zero-knowledge policy. Being able to encrypt the data on your machine with your own key before it gets sent to the server was one of my reasons for choosing CrashPlan, so I am happy to see this in SpiderOak as well.

I am not sure it's entirely fair to compare SpiderOak to DropBox. DropBox focuses on easily sharing a single folder across multiple machines, whereas SpiderOak (and SugerSync for that matter) are somewhere in between DropBox and backup services like CrashPlan.

DropBox is so easy to use that anybody can figure it out, but you pay for that simplicity with less security and flexibility. SpiderOak can provide syncing as well, but having to first back up the folders on each machine and then setup a sync between them is just way more complicated.

It has decent support for working as a backup solution as well, but lacks stuff like being able to run when idle, scheduled backups, running as a service, backing up more than the current users data, etc. that you get with a dedicated backup solution like CrashPlan.

SpiderOak seems to be based on some really good ideas, and with a little more work it could end up being a great replacement for both types of applications -- if they added something like the "Magic Briefcase" from SugerSync to give people an easy initial sync folder, and decent idle/time scheduling like CrashPlan :).

On a side note, I think they should consider making a small tray application to show some basic info and allow you to launch the full GUI, because while the backup engine is only using around 30 MB of memory here at the moment, the GUI uses 70 MB minimized to the tray doing nothing.

CleverCat:
You can schedule backups under Preferences/Schedule.

Jibz:
Thanks, no mention of that in the FAQ or user manual even though apparently it's been there since 2009:

https://spideroak.com/faq/questions/77/automatic_backup_scheduling__scheduling_when_idle/

https://spideroak.com/manual/preferences

At least it's in the application :Thmbsup:.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version