ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SpiderOak - very nice people =)

<< < (7/15) > >>

Armando:
Hi Tom  :)
Yes, I am speaking of my IQ DB (but also know that Access is better known so... greater chances of getting feedback).

>how do you see/check this?

Well:
1- on the status tab, overview option/button.
Everytime I backup my DB to the spideroak watched folder, the storage bar adds 300mb to the total. And it never goes down.

2- The "Queue" tab mirrors that : it shows a succession of queued 300MB files

3- My Comodo firewall shows how much data has been transferred by spideroak.

Now, I'd really like to use Spideroak... But I don't have enough time to tinker with that these days. I already used the command line to try to clear the queue etc., but that didn't help.

My current solution will be to stick with dropbox until this is fixed -- I don't have this problem with dropbox, as I said. They must use a different delta backup algorithm.

rarrrrrr said that "SpiderOak was originally based on an extension to the rsync algorithm" and I haven't checked what Dropbox uses.

Eventually I might try to find a way to encrypt my IQ DB with some other cipher. But then I'd also have to check which ones are compatible with Spideroak. Maybe rarrrrrr could tell us ?  :)

f0dder:
My current solution will be to stick with dropbox until this is fixed -- I don't have this problem with dropbox, as I said. They must use a different delta backup algorithm.-Armando (April 18, 2011, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
That, or DropBox uses special handling for certain files, including access databases?

tomos:
My current solution will be to stick with dropbox until this is fixed -- I don't have this problem with dropbox, as I said. They must use a different delta backup algorithm.-Armando (April 18, 2011, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
That, or DropBox uses special handling for certain files, including access databases?
-f0dder (April 18, 2011, 01:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW:
Dropbox was unable to backup my database until it was closed -
SpiderOak is able to back it up while it's open

Armando:
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---
FWIW:
-tomos (April 18, 2011, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's true though. I didn't mention it because i always first backup my DB to another folder as I like to have a separated backup place with a different file name for my backup (IQ automated backup does that for you). So, in my case, the file is never opened.

Spideroak might use the volume shadow copy service ?

--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---

Yes, that could be it too.

But I still need to find the best compromise.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---

FWIW:
-tomos (April 18, 2011, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure that dropbox used to be able to do this- they changed the behaviour because of corrupted files b/c of the file being open.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version