ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SpiderOak - very nice people =)

<< < (6/15) > >>

Armando:
Dropbox doesn't have this problem. I just tried again and spideroak uploads the whole 300mb every single time, dropbox only a few MB.  :(  I was hoping to completely (and easily) switch to spideroak but it's going to be more complicated than I want it to... Argh. Technology.

rarrrrrr:
...actually SpiderOak does incremental diff of the file if the old and new version have similarity (however it doesn't make this obvious in the UI, but that's what it's doing behind the scenes.)  SpiderOak was originally based on an extension to the rsync algorithm, so handles this pretty well.

Armando:
jgpaiva (or other cryptography experts...) : as you probably know, RC4 is a stream cipherw and no block cipher. However... could it cause the same problem as a block cipher?

Armando:
...actually SpiderOak does incremental diff of the file if the old and new version have similarity (however it doesn't make this obvious in the UI, but that's what it's doing behind the scenes.)  SpiderOak was originally based on an extension to the rsync algorithm, so handles this pretty well.
-rarrrrrr (April 17, 2011, 10:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry ! I didn't see your post.  :) Thanks for joining the discussion. Aren't you one of spideroak founders ? I think I recognize your pseudo.

As you probably read, I wonder why my DB is re-uploaded each time it's backed up (i.e. : I periodically send the DB to a folder monitored by spideroak -- the DB is RC4 encrypted). I understand the UI doesn't mirror everything happening behind the scene. But I can definitely see the amount of uploaded data each time.

tomos:
As you probably read, I wonder why my DB is re-uploaded each time it's backed up (i.e. : I periodically send the DB to a folder monitored by spideroak -- the DB is RC4 encrypted). I understand the UI doesn't mirror everything happening behind the scene. But I can definitely see the amount of uploaded data each time.
-Armando (April 17, 2011, 11:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for pointing this out Armando - I seem to have the same problem. My 1.5GB of backups has turned into 4GB+ over a period of a couple of days so I'm presuming this is the problem (InfoQube database, encrypted, 50 copies of it showing on SpiderOak).

> But I can definitely see the amount of uploaded data each time.
how do you see/check this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version