topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kindle 3G - free 3G web browsing - got to be worth a try  (Read 8225 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum about my recent unavoidable purchase of an iPad. Wraith has then demonstrated that the iPad is not total rubbish with his pioneering work deep into the dark depths of the Apple core.

My firm conclusion is that the iPad makes a nice ebook reader or quick web browser. But there's another device I've been ignoring - the Kindle, or more precisely the Kindle 3G.

Has anyone tried one, got one, stamped their heel into one? I'm very curious about the free 3G aspect, i.e. free web browsing on their "experimental" web-kit based browser.

Even in monochrome, free web sounds like a very good deal to me. FREE. 3G. WEB. Give it meeeeeeeeeee.

Okay, Amazon may decide it won't be free forever - but, I'd expect them not to charge much for the service.

Any thoughts?

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kindle 3G - free 3G web browsing - got to be worth a try
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:02 AM »
I bought my wife the Kindle 3G, and it browses the web just fine, albeit in black and white.  She does Facebook, Gmail. and so forth on it.   She is the type who despises computers and electronics, yet she loves this thing. 

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:36 AM »
Right, thanks, y0himba. That sounds very promising.

Anyone thing it's a rubbish device?

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 03:53 PM »
I think the Kindle is an excellent ebook reader, but definitely no replacement for a browser like the iPad offers. Black and white is one thing. But it's also slow and has less resolution. It's also not free worldwide (book downloads are (well, there's an extra charge on the books), but not web browsing, except Wikipedia I think). I have to admit though that I don't have much experience with the Kindle browser. The little bit I have made me not want to have more ;)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 04:48 PM »
I have computers, smart phones, mp3 players, but my Kindle is hands-down my favorite piece of technology. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's my favorite possession. It's "every book I've ever read or will read: upgraded" -- it basically looks/reads like paper but is searchable, has an inline dictionary, and adjustable fonts.

The browser is ok, in a pinch.  I'll use it on occasion to check the weather or read the news but I wouldn't buy a Kindle for that functionality. It's an added bonus, it's pretty cool being able to view the Internet without putting down my "book", but it's no tablet pc by any means!

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 05:25 PM »
It's "every book I've ever read or will read: upgraded"

Nice marketing blurb - Amazon should pay you for that one!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:39 PM »
i posted about my initial experiences using a Kindle DX: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=23436.0

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:09 PM »
Ah, yes, I remember reading your review now. And thanks for everyone else's comments.

I don't think the kindle is for me. I've not read a novel in years; I just need web reading and PDF access. The kindle web browser isn't going to be enough.

Instead, a may finally get a smartphone. I discovered today that they've become sensibly affordable at long last.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:12 PM by nudone »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:22 PM »
I don't think the kindle is for me. I've not read a novel in years; I just need web reading and PDF access.

Then a Kindle would be throwing money in the wind. My opinion of its pdf capabilities is about the same as my opinion of its web capabilities. Nice to have, but not stellar per se. As for smart phones... yeah, they're pretty damn cool! Not the best platform for novel reading, but great for just about everything else. (The Kindle app isn't bad in a pinch, though :)

It's "every book I've ever read or will read: upgraded"

Nice marketing blurb - Amazon should pay you for that one!

Ha! It's just how I've felt from the first time I got my hands on my first Kindle -- and it hasn't faded at all. I've always loved reading. The idea of having my books digitized and at once more portable than any single book, and all the benefits that come with that -- but without compromising anything really . . .

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Ah, yes, I remember reading your review now. And thanks for everyone else's comments.

I don't think the kindle is for me. I've not read a novel in years; I just need web reading and PDF access. The kindle web browser isn't going to be enough.

Instead, a may finally get a smartphone. I discovered today that they've become sensibly affordable at long last.

Not sure how the nook/nookcolor holds up, but it's also rootable in a pinch...

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 02:20 AM »

If web surfing and pdf are important to you, then do that. Since I've got my Desire HD I'm using it a lot for web surfing. I find the experience quite remarkable. I even use it for this at home instead of using my laptop because the laptop is in the basement. I guess the only thing that will change that is when I finally get a tablet ;)