topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: InfoQube (IQ) Information Management System Q & A  (Read 17022 times)

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
InfoQube (IQ) Information Management System Q & A
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:46 PM »
IQLogo.png

Hi,

InfoQube licenses (qty=5) were offered as part of the 2011 Fundraiser Giveaway Extravaganza. Special thanks to the DonationCoder Team for including IQ in their Extravaganza !

While in beta, InfoQube is free to download an use. Initial release is planned for Q4 2011.

It comes in 2 flavors: Installable and Portable. Both have identical feature sets, so users are encouraged to use the Portable one, as it is standalone and requires no admin right whatsoever.

An IQCommunity has been setup to allow users share tips, solutions, and yes, at times, bugs  :huh:
Community-based documentation is available both online and as an offline CHM Help.

The latest version (v0.9.25P) is very stable. Work has begun on v0.9.26 which will include a revamped Calendar with (yes!) Google Calendar Sync. Stay tuned !

Should DonationCoders have any IQ related questions, feel free to post to this thread.  :Thmbsup:

Pierre, IQ Designer  :)
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:10 PM by PPLandry »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: InfoQube (IQ) Information Management System Q & A
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Thanks for the giveaway and allowing questions to be posted here too.
I am guilty of not reading the help files thoroughly yet, excuse the question. Using Portable 0.9.25N on a different computer (specifically on a different computer for the first time) it looks for not yet created Users/NAME folder. I guess I am asking what, if anything, can I do with the different folders created in this way or what changes are made after each use besides the database (SNDB) file?

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Hi rgdot,

A few questions for you...

1- Where did you copy the portable package ? The portable version must is copied to a non system-protected folder.
2- If I understand correctly, the IQPath\Users\yourLoginName folder was not created ?
3- The IQBase (.sndb) file contains everything entered in both the grids, the calendar and the rich text editing pane. The one exception is when this rich text content is saved as MHT or as HTML, an IQBase.files folder is created and contains this content. Other than this, there are files used for program settings. The master copy is in the IQPath\AppData folder. Each user's settings is saved in IQPath\Users\yourLoginName folder. Does this answer your question ?

HTH !

Pierre
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38 PM »
1- USB key
2- IQPath\Users\yourLoginName was created but now there are 2 (I have used IQ on 2 PCs so far). So I have IQPath\Users\yourLoginName1 and IQPath\Users\yourLoginName2. For example menu.dat is different between the two folders. Basically my question is, what is different in the 2 menu.dat and other files in these two folders?   
3- see 2-

Thanks Pierre

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 11:18 PM »
Hi rgdot,

OK, got it now. Menu.dat contains the customization of the menus you've done. Dock.dat contains the current placement of the various panes. Options.ini contains the options set in tools>>options

The best for you would be to force a given user name. Check the file InfoQubeForUser1.bat in the main IQ folder. Main line is:

start InfoQube.exe /user:User1

Change User1 for your preferred user / account name. IQ will use this, instead of the Windows logon.

Then, start IQ using this .bat file. I'll add the option to use a user.ini file which will override the Windows logon, while still starting with the InfoQube.exe file.

HTH !

Pierre
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:20 PM by PPLandry »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 11:28 PM »
Thank you Pierre  :up:

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:44 PM »
You're welcomed !

Make sure you download the latest version of InfoQube. Version v0.9.25R has improved Gantt charts and coming up in v0.9.25S are many UI improvements, namely changes to fields and some program actions which previously required closing grids and / or IQ are now applied immediately.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Christmas promotion !

In preparing for InfoQube v1.0 official release, we'd like to create a buzz around advanced information management tools...

In these days of simple single focused apps, isn't refreshing to see a new full featured information manager come to life ?

And what better ways to create a buzz than to offer free stuff... So from now until the end of 2015:

Everybody that likes the InfoQube Facebook page will have a chance to win an InfoQube lifetime professional license ($250 value)
Everybody that likes the InfoQube Facebook page and writes a small "I like PIMs and why" message will be entitled to receive a free InfoQube v1.0 personal license ($50 value).

Share this with as many of your friends as possible, that's what creating a buzz is all about !

Enjoy

Pierre
https://www.facebook.com/InfoQubeIM/
p.s. I hope this post falls in the "OK to promote one's product, once in a while" category...  ;)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 02:08 AM »
That is great news! Let me know if you want me to compile a new version of the HTML Help file at some point :up:.

Too bad I can't sign up for the contest since it is on facebook.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 03:53 AM »
Just a note to say that there's been big advances with IQ lately -- new features, and *lots* of work done on improving the user experience (including the calendar: sync is not there yet, but planned before version 1.0).
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 10:28 AM »
Too bad I can't sign up for the contest since it is on facebook.

Same here.  But best of luck!  :Thmbsup:

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 12:00 PM »
No need to worry about FB... @Jibz and @wraith808, both or you are in of course. Share with your friends and relationships whichever way you can, and request your personal license !

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 05:19 PM »
Just a note to say that there's been big advances with IQ lately -- new features, and *lots* of work done on improving the user experience (including the calendar: sync is not there yet, but planned before version 1.0).

Yes, +1 to that.    :up:
Over time, I have trialled IQ in its earlier beta incarnation(s) and more recently, and it is a bit like "a sleeping giant slowly awakening" (in info management terms).

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 08:36 PM »
Christmas promotion !

In preparing for InfoQube v1.0 official release, we'd like to create a buzz around advanced information management tools...

In these days of simple single focused apps, isn't refreshing to see a new full featured information manager come to life ?

And what better ways to create a buzz than to offer free stuff... So from now until the end of 2015:

Everybody that likes the InfoQube Facebook page will have a chance to win an InfoQube lifetime professional license ($250 value)
Everybody that likes the InfoQube Facebook page and writes a small "I like PIMs and why" message will be entitled to receive a free InfoQube v1.0 personal license ($50 value).

Share this with as many of your friends as possible, that's what creating a buzz is all about !

Enjoy

Pierre
https://www.facebook.com/InfoQubeIM/
p.s. I hope this post falls in the "OK to promote one's product, once in a while" category...  ;)

In my view, there might be a step missing here.

DC (DonationCoder.com) has had a few PIM / Info / Task / Work / Flow type threads, and in one of the earlier ones, I glanced at InfoQube, and had trouble making it fit my style. Part and parcel, somewhere along the way is the four year development period.

When you glance at software and it doesn't do X and if you're not drilling down every last speculation, you think it won't ever do X.

So I have remarked elsewhere I as a consumer get nervous when "suddenly" a developer wants serious money ($250 for a lifetime license etc), that's above a LOT of programs! Then you as an example "backdated" a promo for it by a week for "the rest of 2015" before the buying period sets in.

So compared to where you were two years ago, are you now "feature and bug complete ready at V1.0?"

I'll look at it again but if four years ago "it was free to try and use in Beta" I think there needs to be a window to try to find your "evangelist" users before you "flip a switch" and start charging.

Remember, people buy entire computers for the price of two of your Lifetime licenses, so value of money is crucial here. I have only paid for about seven programs that changed my life; all the cool little tools have to be free.

I do come from a business degree. When stuff is free, except "value of my time", people put up with a lot. When suddenly real money is on the line (not $2.88 from some app store), you get ranked in the hardball side of people's minds.

Are you gang as a company ready for that?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:44 PM by TaoPhoenix »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 04:41 AM »
So I have remarked elsewhere I as a consumer get nervous when "suddenly" a developer wants serious money ($250 for a lifetime license etc), that's above a LOT of programs! Then you as an example "backdated" a promo for it by a week for "the rest of 2015" before the buying period sets in.

hi tao, I think you may have missed this part that you quoted:

... InfoQube v1.0 personal license ($50 value).

I'm not sure what a commercial license will cost, I think double that. Seems fair enough to me.
Also, version 1 is not ready, so betas are still free to use. I'm not an insider so dont know when launch is planned.
Tom

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 01:34 PM »
@TaoPhoenix
Details here: http://www.sqlnotes....index.php?q=node/632

As tomos said, there lots of options, namely Small Business @ $99 per seat and:
"Basic concept: If you, yourself, must pay for it (and you can't write it off on your income tax) then a personal license will do

HTH !