ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why I was wrong about Microsoft (by Glyn Moody)

(1/5) > >>

zridling:
We all make mistakes. Glyn Moody discusses how Microsoft is going after the little guys to cut down on competition. Four-minute reading time.
http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Why-I-was-wrong-about-Microsoft-1218798.html
The Microsoft-created features protected by the patents infringed by the Nook and Nook Color tablet are core to the user experience. For example, the patents we asserted today protect innovations that:

* Give people easy ways to navigate through information provided by their device apps via a separate control window with tabs;
* Enable display of a webpage’s content before the background image is received, allowing users to interact with the page faster;
* Allow apps to superimpose download status on top of the downloading content;
* Permit users to easily select text in a document and adjust that selection; and
* Provide users the ability to annotate text without changing the underlying document.
This latest trend to devise and deploy legal strategies against open source seems to me to represent an admission on Microsoft's part that it can no longer compete on technology. Instead, the dinosaurs have decided that it's time to play really dirty – and nothing is dirtier than enforcing bad monopolies using worse laws.

hpearce:
So because the patents protect things you consider innovative, you consider MS bad ... If they were protecting what you considered useless patents, then that's OK with you.
Basically this article is merely an emotional piece by someone who doesn't like who or what microsft is taking legal action against,

There seem to be few arguments of real merit.

Josh:
+1 @ hpearce

f0dder:
Haven't read the article, but the items zridling lists in his post... is stuff like that patentable? That's batshit insane.

40hz:
I really look forward to the day Microsoft ends up in court trying to enforce such patents. Because that is the day they'll see those blatantly BS patents ruled invalid.

Which is why Microsoft will never allow a case like that to proceed to an actual trial.

They're not that stupid.

Unfortunately.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version