ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to make Firefox Not Open PDF Files

<< < (5/6) > >>

cmpm:
Interesting.....
I also have 'OpenItOnline' add-on which does not work for pdfs.
It does for everything else though.

Maybe add openitonline to see what happens.
Can always uninstall it if it don't help.

http://www.openitonline.com/

I do have pdfs set in options to open with the pdfx plugin which works with the nitro deal.

bob99:
In Firefox 4
Tools > Options > Applications > Application/pdf  I set to "always ask"
There are also other choices here.
--- End quote ---
Thankyou for that note. I had not spent the time looking at that menu. That seems like quite an improvement in FF4 over the previous versions.
-IainB (April 05, 2011, 12:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

@IainB
The same can also be done in earlier FF versions. Not sure at what version it was implemented but here is a screen shot off an XP machine running FF 3.6.16.

How to make Firefox Not Open PDF Files

It looks a little different than the earlier shot.  The earlier was from Win7 with FF4.  Both work the same.
I wasn't aware of the other methods mentioned above when I found this one.  It works best for me in that if I know it is a trusted source I can go ahead and open it or save it to a folder to virus scan 1st.  If I decide to open it, it's opened in PDF-XChange and not the browser. And I can save it from there if I want.

Winkie:
However, the icons look outdated and too small; they are not easy to distinct. It should not be very difficult for a pro to make them even more useful.
-Curt (April 04, 2011, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

@Curt:
How do you think the icons should look like? I can alter the style for you if you want.

Winkie:
@Curt:
How do you think the icons should look like? I can alter the style for you if you want.
Something like this, perhaps?
-Winkie (April 05, 2011, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Let me answer that myself after a PM to Curt, Curt likes the whole set I made: Cursor Indicator On Link Hover.

Kurios:
I've always used
- right click
- open in new tab
then select
-open with..
or save

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page