topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 3:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The DonationCoder.com Funding Club - coming some year in the future  (Read 3437 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I want to mention an idea to you guys that i first discussed with zaine many month ago.

It's not something we could do now - there just aren't enough members here who would be able/willing to contribute to it.

But i wanted to tell you about the idea to prepare you for it, to give you guys and gals some time to warm up to the idea.

I call it the DonationCoder.com Funding Club.

The idea will be to find a group of about 50 people willing to contribute $10 a month and 100 people willing to contribute $5 per month.

This will result in $1000 each month into the fund.

This fund would be given out each month to a few programmers (maybe 4 programmers each getting $250) in order to commission a freeware/donationware program which would be released onto the site and made available to the public.

It's a very simple collective action project, that would have amazing results and benefits for all.

The Funding Club could agree on the kinds of programs they want to sponsor, and we might want to occassionally sponsor longer term projects (like $1000 for one project spread out over 4 months).

So like I said, we're not yet big enough to be able to find 150 people willing to make such a commitment, but i'm hoping in a year or two we will be able to.  So mark your calendars and start saving your money :)

Comments welcome.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good idea!  :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
you may have noticed the teasers about a new micro-donation system currently in the works for DonationCoder.com, which will make things like this easier.  should be working before the end of march.

will allow people to donate to each other easily.