ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ever Have a Download Site Blow You Away?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Renegade:
It's a general problem in any software site. Advertisers make ads specifically to confuse you and make you click. The same problem holds for Source Forge, Download.com, Softpedia, etc. etc.

Edvard:
That happens even on a software author's homepage.
A friend of mine was awfully confused when I recommended Exact Audio Copy to him, and he downloaded some shady shareware instead because there was a BIG DOWNLOAD BUTTON for it on the same page as the legit EAC download.
I eventually figured out that I have adblock running and he didn't, so I never saw the advertisement that he was describing when he called me about it.
 :-\

BACK ON TOPIC:
Nice that Softoxi goes at least as far as attempting to be helpful, quite a rare gem nowadays...
Which is probably why I hang out here so much!  :-*

40hz:
It's a general problem in any software site. Advertisers make ads specifically to confuse you and make you click. The same problem holds for Source Forge, Download.com, Softpedia, etc. etc.
-Renegade (April 02, 2011, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably one of the reasons why I try to stick to: FileHippo, Snapfiles, MajorGeeks, and fileforum-betanews as much as possible for Windows shareware and freeware.

To Softoxi's credit however, the instructional videos are a very nice site feature. One I'd like to see in more places - including the actual developer's sites.

Softoxi also covers some interesting products haven't seen on other software sites. That alone makes it worth a closer look.

True, many of these apps are commercially licensed demo installs. But I don't mind paying for good software. So an attached price tag is not a negative for me. (Most times, a price tag is a plus if it allows the developer to avoid all those "ad supported" schemes people have come up with.)

Thx for sharing Ren! Right when I think I know them all, somebody points me to another one. ;D

8)

iphigenie:
-Renegade (April 02, 2011, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

quite... on sourceforge it gets quite annoying after you click download. They have now had the decency to add "this is not linked to the download" but it was borderline fraudulent imo...

PS: I browsed around softoxi and didnt find it any worse than any others. the download link *is* tiny and halfway down the description, but i didnt encounter weird redirects on the download links that Carol reported, although there was the usual conversion tracking on the promotional widgets

Renegade:
@iphigenie

That screenshot is pretty damning...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version