ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ever Have a Download Site Blow You Away?

(1/5) > >>

Renegade:
Ok, I'm still in shock... Softoxi.com just blew me away...

BLOWN AWAY by a Download Site – Softoxi.com!

Not a rant. A rave.

It is RARE for a download site to impress me. Very rare. But Softoxi.com has literally just blown me away! I’m quite frankly shocked with disbelief!

Their screenshot page for Photo Resizer INCLUDES A VIDEO SHOWING INSTALLATION AND HOW TO USE PHOTO RESIZER!

I received an email from Rainer Weiss, the editor at Softoxi, at a contact email address that I don’t use for PAD submissions, and when I checked, I saw that he had registered at the Super Simple web site.
--- End quote ---

I love it when I find a reason to rave over something~! :D

Curt:
Congratulations, Ryan - the review is really out of the ordinary :-)
and Yes, so is Softoxi

About Us

Softoxi’s main purpose is to support and promote high-quality software products. To achieve this purpose we thoroughly test every product that we add to our website. We’re proud to be able to guarantee that each and every product listed on Softoxi has been tested by a real person, and not just any person, but experienced and objective editors.

To help promoting the high-quality software we use some unique and effective ways. The most important and powerful of these ways are the free VIDEO trailers that present the main features of the products and even help newbie users understand how to use some of these products. We also scan the listed products with two powerful and reliable antivirus tools and display the scan reports on the products’ page in support of the idea of truly “verified” clean software.

-Softoxi
--- End quote ---

iphigenie:
It's nice to see a site making the effort  - bookmarked and will start checking it

In the german world, softwareload often does that - videos, screenshots step by step, stuff like that - of course not all download sites can afford the editorial staff that a portal like T Online can...

Carol Haynes:
Haven't looked at that specific page/product you mentioned but personally after looking at a few other products I find the site to be as confusing and badly laid out as most download sites, and none of the products had the features you described. (Actually I did find a video link in tiny print after scouring the page for a while).

I find it particularly irksome when I see large prominent download buttons that are linked to a totally different product and the actual download you are looking for is less than obvious.

Here is a typical page I found ...

I can see download links to numerous other products (most obviously AVS Video Converter which is the standout link on the page) but where is the actual link for Peony Converter ??? Is it behind the blue button with the less than transparent URL:

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=l&ai=BP8LBISmXTcuNIMfK8QPA34mBCJqn8YkC0vSfvCTAjbcBoI0GEAEYASCs-_YCOABQ26TtmQdgu_7Dg9AKoAH2k_baA7IBD3d3dy5zb2Z0b3hpLmNvbboBCjIwMHgyMDBfYXPIAQLaATFodHRwOi8vd3d3LnNvZnRveGkuY29tL3Blb255LXBob3RvLWNvbnZlcnRlci5odG1s4AEEqAMByAMV6APaBegDwQT1AwAAIMQ&num=1&sig=AGiWqtwtKSJ45tpjE38-qz3gPLrDl9VeDw&client=ca-pub-7099049768649780&adurl=http://facemoods.com/tv2b-b1/gppc&nm=3

I don't really feel inclined to click it to find out ...

No it isn't it is an insignificant little link in the middle of everything else that takes you to a page with an irritating visual captcha box!

Strikes me the whole reason for the site is to get as much revenue from google ads as possible (mostly by accident because it isn't always clear where the link is actually going) whilst making it difficult to find the actual download you are looking for.

iphigenie:
I find it particularly irksome when I see large prominent download buttons that are linked to a totally different product and the actual download you are looking for is less than obvious.
-Carol Haynes (April 02, 2011, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fileforum started doing that and it is very annoying and really uncalled for - they could easily promote other software very well without hijacking people's distraction

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version