ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies I Love to Listen To: Dialects and Accents

<< < (3/4) > >>

40hz:
I was married to Catherine Deneuve in another life
-zridling (April 01, 2011, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Awesome! :Thmbsup:

(Now if you'll just pass that bottle of white lightning you're drinking on over to me so I can take a swig, I'll tell you all about that night with Angelina Jolie which netted me a chronic back problem, bad limp, and several tattoos...)

Yeah right!

;)

zridling:
(Now if you'll just pass that bottle of white lightning you're drinking on over to me so I can take a swig, I'll tell you all about that night with Angelina Jolie which netted me a chronic back problem, bad limp, and several tattoos...)-40hz (April 01, 2011, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I won't lie: it was only while she was young and uber-hawt. But she was lovely.  :-*

TheQwerty:
I'm gonna add In Bruges.

Colin Farrell and Brendan Glesson using their normal Irish accents.
Ralph Fiennes in there too (though I'm not recalling his voice at the moment).
And, in case the title didn't give it away, it's set in and filmed in beautiful Bruges, Belgium.

However, it's not one to leave on when the kids (or strangers) are around:The "F"-word and its derivatives are said 126 times in this 107-minute film, an average of 1.18 times per minute.-IMDB Trivia
--- End quote ---

JennyB:
+1 for Fargo and Glengary Glen Ross

I'd probably add

* Shakespeare in Love - it's the Bard after all! :Thmbsup:
* The Number 23 - some of the best narrative voice-overs
* The Usual Suspects- something about that back and forth between Kevin Spacey and Chazz Palminteri
* Serenity - gotta love that neo-antebellum dialect spoken in Josh Whedon's 'Verse
* Chocolat - as pleasant to listen to as it is to watch. Binoche, Olin, Moss and Dench all in the same film? Plus Sally Taylor-Isherwood doing the voiceovers? What's not to like? (Great soundtrack which includes some fine Gypsy jazz guitar if you're a Django Reinhardt fan too!)
8)

-40hz (April 01, 2011, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't seen The Number 23, but I agree with all the rest. Chocolat is one of my all-time favourites. Strange how with just a little change in the direction it could have been a real chiller.

I haven't seen the recent True Grit either, but I can quote ad nauseam from the John Wayne version! Likewise The Shootist and The Quiet Man (though any resemblance to an authentic Irish accent there is purely coincidental.  ;)  It's not so much the dialect, more the delight in the formality and rhythm of language. The Magnificent Seven (the original, not the cheesy sequels) is another I could listen to over and over.

What else?  Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, The African Queen. Any number of Thirties "screwball" comedies, but especially Bringing up Baby, His Girl Friday, and The Philadelphia Story. Scaramouche. Kiss Me Kate. West Side Story.

I suppose I'm just hooked on the oldies, but I must mention a couple more recent but in the same mould: The Princess Bride (of course!) and the magnificent Cyrano de Bergerac with Gerard Depardieu (in French, but the best /ever/ subtitles - by Anthony Burgess, no less!).

40hz:
I'm gonna add In Bruges.
-TheQwerty (April 04, 2011, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent excellent excellent choice.

Chocolat is one of my all-time favourites. Strange how with just a little change in the direction it could have been a real chiller.-JennyB (April 04, 2011, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! What an intriguing idea. And you're absolutely right. Just a tiny change would do it. Hmm...

What else?  Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, The African Queen. Any number of Thirties "screwball" comedies, but especially Bringing up Baby, His Girl Friday, and The Philadelphia Story. Scaramouche. Kiss Me Kate. West Side Story.
--- End quote ---

All superb. Love that stilted 30s pseudo-posh dialect and accent that AFAIK was never spoken by any American except while on the silver screen.

Bringing Up Baby is one of my all-time favs. The fictitious Riverdale was based on New Canaan CT, a few towns over from where I live too!

I was just thinking, you could also add Desk Set. The dialog and diction in the exchanges between Hepburn and Tracy are priceless. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version