ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies I Love to Listen To: Dialects and Accents

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
I have a low tolerance for re-watching movies.. Usually after I see a movie I won't ever want to watch it again.

But there is an exception to this rule -- there are certain movies where just listening to the actors speak is extremely enjoyable because of the dialects or accents.

I thought maybe we could have a thread and share our lists of movies that we love to listen to because of dialects and accents.

A few to start us off:

* Blood Diamond
* True Grit (2010 version; great cowboy language)
* Fargo
* Gone Baby Gone (Boston Accents)
* Glengary Glen Ross
Note: the imdb trailers seem to be completely unhelpful as examples of why these movies are nice to listen to, so don't judge them based on that.

phitsc:
I've just seen True Grit last weekend and have to agree. That movie came to my mind when I read your topic title. A European classic concerning cool dialect is Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis. It's a French movie.

nosh:
I remember this bit from The Usual Suspects cracking me up. [NSFW] In English, please!  ;D

CWuestefeld:
Much as I wish I could hate him, I think Brad Pitt is a phenomenal actor. I think the speech patterns he used in the movie Snatch were fascinating.

Also, I'm continually amazed by Eric Idle's ability to gush forth enormous amounts of text, almost a monologue, while smoothly inserting wordplay into it. I can't imagine the amount he must have rehearsed. See for example, Monty Python's Travel Agent Sketch. (Transcribed here)

40hz:
+1 for Fargo and Glengary Glen Ross

I'd probably add

* Shakespeare in Love - it's the Bard after all! :Thmbsup:
* The Number 23 - some of the best narrative voice-overs
* The Usual Suspects- something about that back and forth between Kevin Spacey and Chazz Palminteri
* Serenity - gotta love that neo-antebellum dialect spoken in Josh Whedon's 'Verse
* Chocolat - as pleasant to listen to as it is to watch. Binoche, Olin, Moss and Dench all in the same film? Plus Sally Taylor-Isherwood doing the voiceovers? What's not to like? (Great soundtrack which includes some fine Gypsy jazz guitar if you're a Django Reinhardt fan too!)
8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version