topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: A Parrot Riding a Car's Windshield Wipers  (Read 15842 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A Parrot Riding a Car's Windshield Wipers
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 04:23 AM »
... Monk Parakeets where I live. ...

in a good few cities along the Rhine in Germany there's large colonies of an originally tropical parrot. One story says that a treefall from a big storm knocked a wall of an importers shop. I'm not sure how well they've lived through the last couple of very hard winters, but they've been here wild since the 70's so they've already survived hard winters. It's no 'infestation' though - they are spreading, but slowly.
http://www.welt.de/w...ern_Deutschland.html
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A Parrot Riding a Car's Windshield Wipers
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 01:16 PM »
I'm not sure how well they've lived through the last couple of very hard winters, but they've been here wild since the 70's so they've already survived hard winters. It's no 'infestation' though - they are spreading, but slowly.

Our numbers seem to have decreased somewhat in the last few years. I don't know if the West Nile Virus that reduced the populations of many bird species around here gave them an opening. Apparently these parrots were fairly immune to it. But now that the virus seems to have run its course, and the native species have repopulated, we don't see quite so many "Monks" as we used to. Their proclivity to want to build their huge colony nests in cellphone towers led (despite public protest) to a number of extremely drastic forced 'evictions' - which also contributed to reducing their headcount.  :'(

There's still plenty of them around however. *skraaagckkk!*

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:18 PM by 40hz »