ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The "Cloud" Goes Up in Smoke

<< < (2/5) > >>

MilesAhead:
Anything I have online I have local copies.  The thing with some of these "businesses" is the CEO is satisfied as long as he can stay one step ahead of the IRS and the bill collectors, can keep his nice ride on the road, "talk business" on his mobile and write off some dinners and other entertainment expenses.

I knew a guy who ran a dry wall company.  When I met him he was on the third instance of it.  He started the second dry wall company to pay back the IRS for misusing withholding tax from the first dry wall company, and on with the third.  He was a friendly upbeat guy.  Sometimes I wonder what number dry wall company he's on now, if he's still avoiding prison.

Stoic Joker:
The thing with some of these "businesses" is the CEO is satisfied as long as he can stay one step ahead of the IRS and the bill collectors, can keep his nice ride on the road, "talk business" on his mobile and write off some dinners and other entertainment expenses.-MilesAhead (March 31, 2011, 11:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 The name of the game is make money, not friends ... And the instant any "Cash Cow" stops producing, it gets shot in the head and tossed in the trash.

We went threw it with a web (site) hosting company. Had been with them for years; service was fine. Then they got bought-up by another bigger company that was assimilating small hosts with good reputations into a push to become the biggest "free" host on the web (e.g. They wanted to ride on the backs of the dead to the top).

Our hosting company (like many out there these days), was simply playing Lady-In-Waiting to star in a Pump-N-Dump scam. Which is where a company springs out of the gate to spike in "value" and then gets sold off for top dollar. Usually to sink a year or so later.

It was all completely hush-hush. Nothing was ever said to anyone. Only reason I found out is I got pissed at tech support and decided to go up their ass with a flashlight. Which is when I found out about the mass Exodus of the staff (80% walked on the same day), and found that the server farm was now oddly on the wrong side of the continent.

Hundreds (possibly thousands) of seemingly unrelated people screaming about loosing their entire sites. Were actually directly related to this silent gathering of hosting companies that were being uprooted to the new mother-ship's server farm. Which I personally verified by tracking the ownership of the (newly registered) IP net blocks that these completely unrelated (competitive) companies now shared in common.

cranioscopical:
He started the second dry wall company to pay back the IRS for misusing withholding tax from the first dry wall company, and on with the third.  He was a friendly upbeat guy.  Sometimes I wonder what number dry wall company he's on now, if he's still avoiding prison.
-MilesAhead (March 31, 2011, 11:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess he felt he'd gyp some...

cranioscopical:
Then they got bought-up by another bigger company
-Stoic Joker (April 01, 2011, 07:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

And there's the big problem! At that point probably all commitments will fly out of the window and pre-existing business ethics become irrelevant.
The big losers are MSB's without the time or financial resources to seek reasonable recompense, even supposing the perpetrator were susceptible to law.

f0dder:
...and even with horror stories like that, there's still people who are against government regulation of what companies can and cannot do :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version