ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The "Cloud" Goes Up in Smoke

(1/5) > >>

Renegade:
Yet another casualty, or casualties as the case may be:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Photographers_warned_after_thousands_of_pics_lost_news_306605.html

Photographers nationwide have expressed outrage after thousands of their images vanished from image-sharing website fotopic.net without warning.

Fotopic.net users have not been able to access their pictures for several weeks, sparking fears that the company behind the site has hit financial difficulties and ceased trading.

At first it seemed the problem may be technical - because the site has gone down before - but, as the weeks pass, concerns grow for the future of the site.
--- End quote ---

zridling:
This story will become increasingly familiar as the new internet boomlets burst. First and last, it's about making money, not about providing service. The quaint idea of working capital is never given a thought.

app103:
This story will become increasingly familiar as the new internet boomlets burst. First and last, it's about making money, not about providing service. The quaint idea of working capital is never given a thought.
-zridling (March 31, 2011, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

And this is why I can't embrace storage in the cloud. It's not reliable.

wraith808:
-zridling (March 31, 2011, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

And this is why I can't embrace storage in the cloud. It's not reliable.
-app103 (March 31, 2011, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's just like everything else though in regards to reliability; you get what you pay for.  I have storage in the cloud on Amazon's servers and my own, and I pay for the storage, so I demand a higher level of service and reliability, and I get it.  What I'm more wary of is quote-unquote free services.

cthorpe:
I store my pics on SmugMug.  I pay for it, but I am not concerned that it will all disappear without warning.

Edit:  Looks like many of the users quoted in the news story were paying customers of fotopic.  Scary.

C

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version