ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

When you make your 100'th Post

<< < (223/228) > >>

Ath:
Well, after copying the 'name' from the browser debugger (tried both Firefox and Chrome, latest non-developer releases), my text editors say it's a set of 4 and 5 0x1A characters (26 decimal, ASCII symbol 'Substitute', or ^Z/Ctrl-Z) separated by a space, quite unlikely that's a real name, whatever encoding or character set it might be, must have a deeper meaning, as ^Z used to be EOF (End Of File) for text files, way back when... :huh:

The only rendering engine that is actually showing something (and installed on my laptop) is Chromium (Chrome/Vivaldi), neither Firefox, Edge or IE show anything, so that might make Chrome-based browsers a tad more informative.

I would have expected SMF to filter out/reject any non-rendering characters from usernames, but obviously that's not a test-case for them.

KynloStephen66515:
Well, after copying the 'name' from the browser debugger (tried both Firefox and Chrome, latest non-developer releases), my text editors say it's a set of 4 and 5 0x1A characters (26 decimal, ASCII symbol 'Substitute', or ^Z/Ctrl-Z) separated by a space, quite unlikely that's a real name, whatever encoding or character set it might be, must have a deeper meaning, as ^Z used to be EOF (End Of File) for text files, way back when... :huh:

The only rendering engine that is actually showing something (and installed on my laptop) is Chromium (Chrome/Vivaldi), neither Firefox, Edge or IE show anything, so that might make Chrome-based browsers a tad more informative.

I would have expected SMF to filter out/reject any non-rendering characters from usernames, but obviously that's not a test-case for them.
-Ath (August 22, 2018, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I mean, I wouldn't expect anything from SMF because it's old as hell and the developers are stuck in the early 00's  ;D

Ath:
the developers are stuck in the early 00's  ;D
-Stephen66515 (August 22, 2018, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
That would be a very good excuse to handle 'weird' input correctly, as there where tricks in the DOS days to manipulate an application through the username... ;D

Curt:
thomthowolf x 100

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=46934.msg426371#msg426371

Curt:
holt made his post #222 extra noteworthy:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=124.msg427913#msg427913

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page