ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Migrate from USB Safely Remove to Zentimo for $8.90

<< < (3/3)

oblivion:
I presume you mean the vendor has a hard time justifying the offer of lifetime licenses?  Spare a thought for your fellow Brits who don't have the income for constant updates!-rjbull (April 06, 2011, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Point taken. Nor do I -- but as an ex-BBS sysop who had quite a lot to do with distributing and using shareware, I can see both sides of this.

Still got mine - that plus QEMM and NDOS were the most productive environment I ever had.  Can't bear to get rid of it.
--- End quote ---

I replaced NDOS with 4DOS, eventually. (4DOS has gone free, last I saw, as 4NT took over for the up-to-date people amongst us.) I still miss the power of the 4DOS batch language, the environment editor, set /r c:\sets.txt, and the command history navigator. <sigh>

The setup was still going strong up to about 6 years ago, when my BBS finally turned up its toes and I reluctantly decided that FidoNet just wasn't going to justify the effort of rebuilding it.

That's the position I'm in.  I do have the free license for Zentimo 1.0 that they gave away a while back, in case of need.
--- End quote ---

Via GiveAwayOfTheDay? Yes, I did that too. Had quite a long argument with the authors about the licencing issue at the time -- steamed about it for a while but, as I say, I can see their point.

rjbull:
as an ex-BBS sysop who had quite a lot to do with distributing and using shareware, I can see both sides of this.-oblivion (April 06, 2011, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

You were 2:25/108 at Bexhill-on-Sea?  My knowledge of how to read a nodelist is fading...  :(

I myself did a fair amount of liaising with authors, mostly freeware but some shareware.  Most of what I knew about DOS freeware I either learned from, or contributed to, the Free Software for DOS list.

4DOS has gone free, last I saw, as 4NT took over for the up-to-date people amongst us.
--- End quote ---

AIUI, yes, though most people will now go for the free TCC/LE as being more in tune with recent versions of Windows.

I still miss the power of the 4DOS batch language
--- End quote ---

Vista Home Premium seems so different, I have trouble wrestling with its DOS emulation.  I suppose I'm just getting rusty, and simply reluctant to tackle unnecessary complexities.

my BBS finally turned up its toes and I reluctantly decided that FidoNet just wasn't going to justify the effort of rebuilding it.
--- End quote ---

Similarly, when my feed disappeared, I gave up as there was by then so little traffic.

That's the position I'm in.  I do have the free license for Zentimo 1.0 that they gave away a while back, in case of need.-rjbull (April 06, 2011, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Via GiveAwayOfTheDay?
--- End quote ---

No, I think it came because I'm a registered user of USBSR (with lifetime license) and Crystal Rich give away free licenses from time to time.

oblivion:
You were 2:25/108 at Bexhill-on-Sea?  My knowledge of how to read a nodelist is fading...  :(-rjbull (April 07, 2011, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
They were never really supposed to be human-readable anyway.

Apparently.  ;)

Although one qualification for a nodelist listing of your own was always supposed to be the ability to write your own entry.  :)

Yes, that was one of my later incarnations -- I had several, over the years. As was my holding of the office of REC25, a job with little associated work by the time I took it, sadly.

I still miss Fidonet. A worldwide, non-state/corporate-controlled, public access network, designed with cost-minimisation built in. (Tom Jennings never got the recognition he deserved.) It taught me more about written communication than any college course.

Its last hurrah, from my viewpoint, is probably the fact that I use The Bat! for email, have it configured for plain text and use the author's initials for quotes. Nothing else I've ever found does that properly!

I myself did a fair amount of liaising with authors, mostly freeware but some shareware.  Most of what I knew about DOS freeware I either learned from, or contributed to, the Free Software for DOS list.
--- End quote ---

Not somewhere I knew about. Just been to look, briefly -- some real blasts from the past!

The one that stands out -- Protext! Good grief -- the WP that spanked Locoscript on the Amstrad CP/M boxes but still somehow never made it to the big time.

I also quite like the phrase "Simple and advancxed text editors", which suggests it was written without using one.  ;)

Vista Home Premium seems so different, I have trouble wrestling with its DOS emulation.  I suppose I'm just getting rusty, and simply reluctant to tackle unnecessary complexities.
--- End quote ---

I have yet to attempt to get to grips with PowerShell. That certainly looks very different, but I suspect I'm going to have to tackle it sometime.

my BBS finally turned up its toes and I reluctantly decided that FidoNet just wasn't going to justify the effort of rebuilding it.
--- End quote ---
Similarly, when my feed disappeared, I gave up as there was by then so little traffic.
--- End quote ---

Fido stayed strong in some parts of Europe for quite a while after it died in the US and UK, I believe, but it was always something that needed a particular "critical mass" to keep it going -- those few of us left in the UK by the end just couldn't compete with the increasingly affordable internet, despite the relative lack of security associated with it.

No, I think it came because I'm a registered user of USBSR (with lifetime license) and Crystal Rich give away free licenses from time to time.
--- End quote ---

Fair enough. But I also have a lifetime licence, and they never offered a free Zentimo license to me! (Possibly my discussion with them about the lifetime license not covering Zentimo mitigated against it! Or the fact that I'd got a GOTD freebie.)

rjbull:
Although one qualification for a nodelist listing of your own was always supposed to be the ability to write your own entry.  :)-oblivion (April 08, 2011, 03:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

So you passed the test  :)

I still miss Fidonet. A worldwide, non-state/corporate-controlled, public access network, designed with cost-minimisation built in.
--- End quote ---

So do I, but most of the people I "spoke" to moved on, and some have died.  For network with an organisation (I hear) not far above anarchy, it produced some very classy software.  E.g., the BinkleyTerm, Squish, and GoldED I used.

I use The Bat! for email, have it configured for plain text and use the author's initials for quotes.
--- End quote ---

I use TB! too, but that's more to do with the DC discount.  But, Fidonet taught me that the right way to quote and edit e-mail.

Fido stayed strong in some parts of Europe for quite a while after it died in the US and UK, I believe, but it was always something that needed a particular "critical mass" to keep it going -- those few of us left in the UK by the end just couldn't compete with the increasingly affordable internet, despite the relative lack of security associated with it.

--- End quote ---

When I lost my feed, the Fidonet had already dropped well below the critical mass, which was why I didn't make any heroic efforts to find yet another boss.

I'm a registered user of USBSR (with lifetime license) and Crystal Rich give away free licenses from time to time.-rjbull (April 07, 2011, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I also have a lifetime licence, and they never offered a free Zentimo license to me!
--- End quote ---

Just wait a bit - I got the impression they simply e-mailed everyone in the USBSR user list, but it would depend on when you registered.  Obviously, they don't give away freebies very often.  I got my first license for USBSR as a freeby that was announced here on DC by tranglos, and went on from there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version