ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Samsung accused of pre-installing keyloggers in their new laptops

<< < (2/4) > >>

mwb1100:
And from an anonymous posting (that I haven't verified - if someone out there has VIPRE or Spyware Dr., it would be interesting to see if this is true):

Go try this... create a windows\sl directory then run spyware doctor or vipre... run a scan.. they will report you are infected with the same keylogger... they are simply triggering on the existance of an "sl" directory and the author of original post didn't do ANY research on this.. he just assumed Spyware Dr. was correct and then wrote about it.-http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/72622?page=3
--- End quote ---

Jibz:
The annoying thing is that it is already being reported on other sites as if it were a fact and not just an accusation, for instance Blue's News links it simply as "Samsung installs keylogger on its laptops".

Edit: I guess they got that from this blog post on networkworld where the author changed the wording.

housetier:
I was totally believing those allegations, but now I have doubts. Guess, I'll have to remember to be much more careful about stuff written on the internets.

And yeah, Doco seems to be a much more reliable and trustworthy source of information :)

housetier:
Secretly I want samsung to have made this mistake. It would remind people to not blindly trust companies just because they put shiny stickers on a device.

If "THEY" are being secretive they must have a sinister motive.

But given the snaky oiliness of "computer security" products, the false positive still sounds like very possible explanation.

Renegade:
I was totally believing those allegations, but now I have doubts. Guess, I'll have to remember to be much more careful about stuff written on the internets.

And yeah, Doco seems to be a much more reliable and trustworthy source of information :)
-housetier (March 31, 2011, 03:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know what you mean. It's almost scary just how much false information you get now. Journalism used to be somewhat responsible...

Secretly I want samsung to have made this mistake. It would remind people to not blindly trust companies just because they put shiny stickers on a device.

If "THEY" are being secretive they must have a sinister motive.

But given the snaky oiliness of "computer security" products, the false positive still sounds like very possible explanation.
-housetier (March 31, 2011, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have a soft spot for Samsung. I make lots of money from them. So I like to seem them come out ahead. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version