topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Make all Dialog Boxes and Browser Popups come up where the Cursor is  (Read 14097 times)

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi forum,

using a triple monitor setup (with Nvidia graphics card), I was wondering whether there is a tool that makes popup windows - like dialogs and the like - appear always on the screen where the mouse pointer is (or alternatively, where the main application is).

Thanks already for any hints anyone might have,

Cheers David.P

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Whoaa, great stuff --- thanks  :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
be aware that if you happen to try to click on a button just a fraction of a second after some other box is beginning to pop up, you will quite often happen to be clicking this new button - the one you didn't think you were clicking because you were not yet aware of it. At least it happened to me on several occasions.

re-Edited:
Did you get the newest version: https://www.donation....msg202897#msg202897 ?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 06:41 PM by Curt »

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes thanks. Already got the new version on my triple monitor setup. Great tool. It even moves context menus that pop up on another screen back to the mouse!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it's the one of the greatest tools ever (not that i'm biased). microsoft really should just include the dialogmove functions as native parts of the operating system - but with a few more intelligent features that are beyond an autohotkey script.

i would be driven insane without being able to use dialogmove on my main pc.

one caveat: i think dialogmove does require a bit of tweaking to get it just right - and you need to tell it which program dialogs to ignore or always move, if you want to get the best from it (which may help with the problem that Curt mentioned).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
* jgpaiva likes this thread :D *

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Probably a bit of an exaggeration to say I couldn't live without DialogMove, but I would find it most aggravating.

What nudone said, re a bit of tweaking.  I have several dozen dialogs listed as "always move" or "never move", but I also found the two settings for dialog box sizes very handy.  At the moment I can't remember why one is set almost square (anything less than 410 x 451) and one long and skinny (anything less than 1280 x 160), but I remember at the time that this fixed all the quirks in my setup.

One hallmark of a stable program is that once set up you seldom have to think about it anymore.  WAY TO GO JGPAIVA!!!!!  :up: :up: :up:  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm going to go down memory lane here... On windows 3.1 (!) we bought the shareware "squeaky mouse" - it did several things that are now taken for granted

- had a cute dancing mouse icon (ok, that is not nowadays taken for granted but if you wanted one there are many ways. PS:"the squeaky mouse dance" is still a family staple)
- move cursor to buttons and popups (not as friendly as moving the dialog to the cursor, I'll admit)
- fast scroll
- recycling bin (was "cheek pouch")
- jump by letter in selection lists and menus

I still have the executable here and must have the reg code somewhere, but I am afraid it doesnt fully work - on XP it only shows on the taskbar, makes noise, and works with any old apps one might run - for example it will move the cursor between the task bar and its option windows. Which is kind of an amazing sign of backwards compatibility... It does still squeak and now and then you catch a glimpse of a mouse running...

Requirement:
   Hardware:
       80386 or higher machine
       4MB or more RAM memory
       At least 300KB of free hard disk space
   Software:
       MS-Windows3.1 or higher
       or Windows for Workgroup 3.1 or higher

Anyone ever use that?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 09:05 AM by iphigenie »

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great program, thanks once more to jgpaiva!

What I'm wondering, is there a way to adjust DialogMove such that dialogs are only moved to the center of the monitor where the mouse is? In other words, dialogs that ARE already centered on the correct monitor (where the mouse pointer is) should not be touched.

Is that possible?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
David.P: that's not really the objective of DialogMove, the intention is to move the boxes to bellow the mouse and not to the correct monitor.
Maybe you can make a new request in the Coding Snacks forum ;)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have to agree. That would be a new util completely.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But a fairly easy one to create ;)
The only reason I don't do it myself is because I don't have a second monitor right now and it's a pain to create and test these based on other people's feedback. But I'm pretty sure someone would do it easily in the coding snacks section ;)

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks everyone :up:

I have started a respective topic over at the Coding Snacks section.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Having moved to 64-bit Win 7, DialogMove doesn't work for me any more!  :(

What else do we know that will  move the pointer to the button, or the button to the pointer?
 :tellme:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just to be sure, have you tried running it with administrator rights?  You could also try it in XP compatibility mode.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Having moved to 64-bit Win 7, DialogMove doesn't work for me any more!  :(

What else do we know that will  move the pointer to the button, or the button to the pointer?

I'm on 64 bit and still use DialgoMove (can't live without it). UAC is completely disabled on my machine though.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
arghh, this is why I said I wanted to restore a list of the programs that I had on my previous 32-bit system, Vista, before overwriting it with 64-bit W7. Now I need that list; I really should have fought harder to get it. I know I have been using DialogMove at some point in time, but I am not all certain I was using it when my Vista died on me, because I so feel certain that the program I was using that day, would make the mouse pointer move to the button, not the button to the pointer, AND that it would work on "Open..." and "Save as..."-boxes as well. Was I merely dreaming?

What else do we know that will  move the pointer to the button,
or the button to the pointer?

-----------
re-edited 6 hours later: oh, it is that easy!  :-[
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:28 PM by Curt »