topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: W3Schools is trouble..?  (Read 4812 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
W3Schools is trouble..?
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:16 AM »
So I went out looking for some of the new cutting-edge HTML5 sites to use as examples for an in-house project...And I ran across something quite perplexing.

http://w3fools.com/

Seems they have quite a Bone-to-pick with w3schools.com:
W3Schools offers certifications whose value is highly debateable… No employers recognize or respect W3Schools certificates. Unlike Microsoft’s MCP or Cisco’s CCC, W3Schools has absolutely no authority over the technologies for which they claim to provide certification. Unlike CompTIA’s ANSI/ISO accredited certifications, W3Schools has no support from governing standards bodies. W3Schools frequently publishes inaccurate or misleading content. We have collected several examples illustrating this problem below.

I have used w3schools.com in the past to get past an issue or two, but... After reading through some of their examples it does appear (that I shouldn't be) they have a point ... But I wanted to run it past the crew here to see what you thing of their body-of-evidence.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: W3Schools is trouble..?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 07:46 AM »
promotejs.png
There is a ... "movement", if you will, to promote better JS documentation. I have seen this banner on sites such as thechangelog.com.

So far I have no recollection of receiving wrong information from w3schools. But they have also never been my only source of information. For ze Germans there is the superb and unmatched SELFHTML, which seems a little outdated:
SELFHTML: Version 8.1.2 vom 01.03.2007
Selfhtml has examples for virtually everything, and it's all hyperlinked. For many this is the one-stop reference work.

I tend to use w3schools less and less these days for two reasons: bad press from many opensource sites that employ the banner you see above; and because I do less and less web stuff (and I feel great about it!)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:47 AM »
Well "many sites" might exaggerate: some sites that I frequent do sport this banner.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:30 PM »
Dunno... Some things seem to be nitpicking. e.g.

www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_insert.asp
$sql="INSERT INTO Persons (FirstName, LastName, Age)
VALUES
('$_POST[firstname]','$_POST[lastname]','$_POST[age]')";

Yikes. This code exposes an application to trivial SQL injection attacks and should never have been posted. It contravenes every best practice.

Well, yeah. But it demonstrates the concept. Not that you should use the code, but you should know the concept. Lots of sample code shouldn't be used in production. That's nothing new. Sample code often omits parts that should be in production, but would make the example less readable.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker