ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Not-so-mini review of CrashPlan backup software

<< < (7/12) > >>

JavaJones:
Roll your Own isn't an option for me due to the sheer size of my data set (unless Amazon offers a service where you can send them a hard drive and they'll stick it on Glacier storage - do they?). Even if such an option were available, it would have to have a clear price advantage and require minimal maintenance, otherwise it really wouldn't be worth it for me. But I'm *definitely glad* such options exist. Can't let the big backup players get too complacent. When storage is available so simply and cheaply direct to the user, the backup companies have to compete on features and price, which is good. :)

- Oshyan

wraith808:
I've only just gotten started, but they seem to have a couple of things in the faqs about it:

https://aws.amazon.com/glacier/faqs/
https://aws.amazon.com/importexport/faqs/

Deozaan:
Glacier sounds pretty cool if your backup storage needs are relatively small. Doing some rough calculations, Glacier would cost about $370/year for 3TB of data. iDrive is $375/year for up to 10TB of data (not counting the discount). Considering JavaJones' current usage and needs, plus the greatly discounted 2 years of service, I don't think Glacier would offer him any benefit over iDrive.

wraith808:
Glacier sounds pretty cool if your backup storage needs are relatively small. Doing some rough calculations, Glacier would cost about $370/year for 3TB of data. iDrive is $375/year for up to 10TB of data (not counting the discount). Considering JavaJones' current usage and needs, plus the greatly discounted 2 years of service, I don't think Glacier would offer him any benefit over iDrive.
-Deozaan (May 18, 2015, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cool thing about amazon... you don't have to rely on rough estimates.

http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

$30.72 per month for the storage.  Unless there's a catastrophic need to retrieve all the data, that should be pretty accurate, within the number of requests- with 4GB/1000 requests, it goes up to $30.77.  If it's truly catastrophic, you get it out the same way you got it in.

What I like about it is the size of Amazon, and the redundancy.  That's why Amazon can get away with charging more IMO.  And the real problems that I've had with RYO solutions is the infrastructure.

But yes, each service is going to have it's own uses.

... but woe to you if you get over 10TB.  iDrive scales into business at that point.  I guess their redundancy and such is better for business.

JavaJones:
Yeah, plus $80 for the initial data import, which is free with iDrive. :D

I certainly think Glacier and a RYO solution is a great option to have. For those more security concerned, or who want more specific setups, etc. But indeed for my needs iDrive seems to be a better deal *and* have more features, be easier to setup and manage, etc.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version