ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Graphical depiction of web browser popularity from 1995-2011

<< < (4/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I'd also like to know why the commonly used "Windows" browser isn't on the chart. Every client I come in contact with uses the "Windows" browser when I ask them which they use (which usually translates to "Internet Explorer 7").-nudone (March 29, 2011, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

(hehe) Yeah, that should be listed right up there with the ones that give you the name of their ISP, when asked what browser they use.

Note: In defense of the end user, this confusion/phenomenon was caused by the practice known as branding.

mouser:
I suspect chrome will kill off everything else soon enough.  Nothing to do with quality of the browser (though it has some nice features) -- just that when you combine google's virtual monopoly on search, which provides them with the perfect position to push people to use their browser, with the financial and search/advertising/security incentive to own the browser market, with the billions of dollars of revenue, i think you have an unstoppable force that is determined to do whatever it takes to dominate the web browser wars.

Google just cannot afford the possibility that someone could do something with the browser that would hurt their search engine advertising traffic; the more they control the browser, the more they can ensure search engine and advertising dominance going forward.

I view Google like one big benevolent giant -- benevolent as long as the ad revenue is pouring in like a tsunami they are kind and generous and behave well.  If anyone threatens their revenue stream they have their hands deep within the gears of the internet ready to do whatever they need to do to kill off the competition.

rgdot:
Chrome might kill everything off soon but it has odd, some would say ridiculous, bugs. I suspect it might have something to do with underlying code that is geared towards an OS.
I have posted here once or twice her about it acting weird with wifi connections, found a few reports from others too.
Another one I discovered more recently is this, it is really even less acceptable for a browser, and it seems it's more common. Checkboxes disappear http://www.google.ca/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=0551a15ebb64a498&hl=en&start=160

Stoic Joker:
I view Google like one big benevolent giant -- as long as the ad revenue is pouring in like a tsunami they are kind and generous and behave well.  If anyone threatens their revenue stream they have their hands deep within the gears of the internet ready to do whatever they need to do to kill off the competition.-mouser (March 29, 2011, 08:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you meant big malevolent giant... :D ...Trust being a factor - In them - I have none.

Dragons never attack a village when they're being fed ("properly") a virgin or two on a regular basis... ;)

phitsc:
I still have an un-opened (i.e. sealed) original Microsoft Internet Explorer StarterKit from 1996. It says: The Complete and Easy Way to Get on the Internet :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version