ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Graphical depiction of web browser popularity from 1995-2011

<< < (3/5) > >>

app103:
I don't know how many of you remember neoplanet. It was based on netscape's code, still alive but not sure how many people use it.  
-mahesh2k (March 28, 2011, 11:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope...it was (and still is) Trident based (IE). I also remember it having a unique user ID for tracking purposes, it collecting info about your browsing habits and selling it to 3rd parties, and also using that info to deliver targeted ads.

And while the browser might still be available at that url, I don't think any development has been done on it in about 10 years. (does it even have a popup blocker?)

The NeoPlanet Browser is less than 4.0 MB and is fully compatible with Windows 95/98/NT and IE4.0. The NeoPlanet Browser is also compatible with Windows 2000/ME and IE 5.5+. -http://www.neoplanet.com/site/products/browser2/browser_fact_sheet.html
--- End quote ---

There is no mention of XP/Vista/Win7.

lanux128:
Netcaptor, anyone? was touted as the original tabbed browser. here's the blurb at Softpedia.

NetCaptor - Turns the browser world upside down

NetCaptor is the strongest web browser application on the whole earth! Other browsers only show one page at a time or squish them together in an overlapping mess. NetCaptor gives each web site its own tab!
NetCaptor is the original tabbed browser. Accept no imitations!

Here are some key features of "NetCaptor":
■ Reject Annoying Popups
Hate popups ads? NetCaptor blocks unrequested popups!
■ Clean Up After Yourself
NetCaptor's secure clean up feature obliterates your cache, history, cookies, AutoComplete and other private data by overwriting it 1 to 35 times before deletion.
■ Block Ads
NetCaptor blocks band-width sucking ads, web bugs, and other stuff you don't want to see.
--- End quote ---

• http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers/NetCaptor.shtml

app103:
Back in 1999, Crystalport was an awesome browser. This didn't just have tabs, it also had sub-tabs...and lots of other nifty features, some of which you still don't see in other browsers today, such as AppCapture.

Multi-page management utilities include the ability to simultaneously surf multiple sites with a tabbed interface, view multiple sites in a re-sizeable multi-pane tile mode, including drag and drop links between panes; bookmark groups of websites for simultaneous opening; email groups of sites with one click...either as a tab group file (for other CrystalPort users) or as a list of links (for non-CrystalPort users).

AppCapture brings virtually any program into a browser tab or the sidebar. Users can simultaneously view web, Word, and email documents...even spreadsheets; they can cut, paste, drag and drop links between documents with unparalled ease.

CrystalPort also allows control over pop-up advertisement windows, and includes password-protected online bookmarks, a full skin-supported interface (with a built-in NeoPlanet skin converter), over 30 categorically organized search engines accessible directly from the toolbar, the ability to add custom search engines from any website, real-time language translations, and plug-in support for custom developed applications that need to access web controls.

Newest features include: Intelligent Auto Form-Fill, page exclusion, restrictable access, and encrypted storage of information. Profiles can be windows or browser based, allowing multiple users and browser configurations to quickly switch from one custom configuration to another. Each profile can be password-protected, storing all browser settings and preferences selected by that user. The Advanced Search Bar is enhanced with Google functionality, including keyword highlighting, search site, backward links, and page levels through Google.com.-http://download.cnet.com/CrystalPort-AppCapture/3000-2379_4-13630.html?tag=rb_content;main
--- End quote ---

You wouldn't want to use it today, though, for a bunch of reasons. Off the top of my head:

* No protection from driveby ActiveX malware installers.
* Written in VB5.
* Company gone with the wind, no support, no further development, some cloud based features (like online bookmark storage) no longer work.

joiwind:
Can't let this go by without plugging K-Meleon...!

nudone:
Apple had buttons in the browser for people to report "broken sites". Hahahaha~! After all, Apple can do no wrong! :P
-Renegade (March 28, 2011, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amazing. That really does say everything about Apple.

I'd also like to know why the commonly used "Windows" browser isn't on the chart. Every client I come in contact with uses the "Windows" browser when I ask them which they use (which usually translates to "Internet Explorer 7").

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version