topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Release: SFV Ninja (Simple File Verification application)  (Read 184881 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Release: SFV Ninja (Simple File Verification application)
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2015, 05:05 PM »
Hi, Bluedraft, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :D

Hi, I have 20 files from different directories ready for the checksum, it is possible to output 20 .sfv files in their respective directories instead just one with the 20 checksums? thanks in advance for any help and best regards.

No, this is not currently possible in SFV Ninja.

BONZ

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Really nice util. :Thmbsup: And to let ya know I have it running on Windows 10 with all updates, NO PROBLEM! :) So ya need to update that in desc. I'd suggest. ;) BTW, reallu DOES need a operations readme at least, your loafin'

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Really nice util. :Thmbsup: And to let ya know I have it running on Windows 10 with all updates, NO PROBLEM! :) So ya need to update that in desc. I'd suggest. ;) BTW, reallu DOES need a operations readme at least, your loafin'

Thank you for the report.   :Thmbsup:

Sempfmaus

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Hi there!

I saw your sfv-ninja-programm.. and i tried it, but it didnt make a .sfv-file when i dropped a folder on it (like your sPlayListMaker does).

What relay would be nice is adding the drag&drop-function from sPlayListMaker. (Dropping a folder & the .sfv is automatically created in the corresponding folder).
(And possibly "add .sfvs for all the the files". and/or  "add .sfv for the root-folder only" in the options).

So the main goal would be: adding the same functionally your sPlayListMaker has. (Drag & Drop wise).

I dont know how complicated it would be copying this functionality from sPlayListMaker to your SFV-Ninja, but that would make this program really outstanding.

Regards .. SempfMaus :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2016, 06:27 PM »
What relay would be nice is adding the drag&drop-function from sPlayListMaker.

Hi, Sempfmaus, and thank you for trying SFV Ninja as well as the feedback.  SFV Ninja is one of the few apps I've written that I actually wrote for my own uses as opposed to a Coding Snack request, etc.  As such, it's written to fit into my own workflow so I have no plans to add an sPlaylistMaker-like automatic mode.

rm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: May 12, 2016, 02:28 PM »
SFV Ninja v1.2.9
Win XP
When launch get this:

Something with Cyrillic locale again?
Thanks

SVFNinja.pngRelease: SFV Ninja (Simple File Verification application)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2016, 12:12 AM »
Something with Cyrillic locale again?

Yes, and the fact that more recent AHK builds pop that error.  Please test v1.3.0 and let me know if that fixes things.

Website | Download
v1.3.0 - 2016-05-13
    - Regressed progress bar changes from v1.2.9 until I can work out some bugs.
    ! Fixed some alternate keyboard hotkey issues.  (Thanks, rm)

v1.2.9 - 2016-05-12
    * Improved the accuracy of the "Total:" progress bar.

rm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Version 1.3.0 works fine
Thank you very much!  :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2016, 09:35 AM »
Website | Download
v1.3.1 - 2016-06-02
    * Reintroduced total progress bar accuracy changes.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Did the file format change? I just tried to load an .md5 file and it seems to have swapped the file path and the checksums.

The file lists them as:

[path] [checksum]
[path] [checksum]

Et cetera. But the client shows the checksum as the filename/path and the path as the saved checksum.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2016, 08:32 AM »
Did the file format change? I just tried to load an .md5 file and it seems to have swapped the file path and the checksums.

The file lists them as:

[path] [checksum]
[path] [checksum]

Et cetera. But the client shows the checksum as the filename/path and the path as the saved checksum.

Are you certain this was an MD5 file generated by SFV Ninja?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2016, 05:29 PM »
Are you certain this was an MD5 file generated by SFV Ninja?

We got this sorted out in DC's IRC channel. I had somehow accidentally saved over an MD5 file while SFVNinja was in CRC32 mode, so it wrote the format incorrectly for MD5 files. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:31 PM by Deozaan »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2016, 08:54 PM »
Website | Download
v1.3.2 - 2016-07-08
    + Added support for SHA-384 and SHA-512.
    + Improved parser to better support older MD5/SHA-# file formats.
    * Automatically switch to the correct checksum mode when loading a single
      checksum file via the "File > Load checksum file" method.  (Thanks,
      Deozaan)
    ! The total progress bar was broken from MD5, SHA-1, and SHA-256 modes.

xviruz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2016, 01:04 AM »
I'm liking the pause button in 1.3.3 but miss the ability to scroll while performing the checksum (the middle portion is grayed out/non-interactive). Any chance you could add that back?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2016, 09:49 AM »
Website | Download
v1.3.5 - 2016-08-15
    * Re-enabled the listview while a scan is in progress.  However, sorting of
      columns is now disabled while a scan is in progress.  (Thanks, xviruz)

v1.3.4 - 2016-07-29
    + Added hotkeys to the "Clear Items" menu.

v1.3.3 - 2016-07-17
    + Added Pause/Resume and Cancel buttons to the main form.

xviruz

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2016, 09:57 PM »
1.3.5 works great, thanks a lot!  :D

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2016, 12:07 AM »
1.3.5 works great, thanks a lot!  :D

Good to hear and you're welcome.  I use SFV Ninja many times daily so it's one app I like to keep improving.

jammmie900

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Can you add right click on SFV and MD5 files to scan/check ? need to drag the files every time.  :(

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2016, 10:31 PM »
Hi, jammmie900, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

Can you add right click on SFV and MD5 files to scan/check ? need to drag the files every time.  :(

If you want SFV Ninja to open with SFV and MD5 files, do the following:

• Shift+right-click an SFV file and choose Open with > Choose default program from the menu.
  • Click the Browse... button and navigate to the SFVNinja.exe file.
  • Ensure the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file checkbox is ticked.
  • Click the OK button.

Repeat the same procedure for MD5 files.  At this point, you should be able to double-click either an SFV or an MD5 file and it should automatically load into SFV Ninja.

jammmie900

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Hi, jammmie900, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

If you want SFV Ninja to open with SFV and MD5 files, do the following:

• Shift+right-click an SFV file and choose Open with > Choose default program from the menu.
  • Click the Browse... button and navigate to the SFVNinja.exe file.
  • Ensure the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file checkbox is ticked.
  • Click the OK button.

Repeat the same procedure for MD5 files.  At this point, you should be able to double-click either an SFV or an MD5 file and it should automatically load into SFV Ninja.

Yes,
Thank you, I figured it out :)

Cocoa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2017, 04:04 AM »
Hello!

I've very glad I spotted your software fairly quick after coming to the forums. I spent the entire evening testing out around 7 or 8 different checksum generating or verifying software after trawling the internet, and in the end I had to come back to Donationcoder to find something even close to approaching what I need. I just wish I had thought of coming here sooner, but the forum is still a bit difficult to sift through to find a particular software for a particular need.

Your SFV Ninja's ability to generate checksum files with relative paths is a big bonus for me to decide to try it out--all the other tools glaring oversight to only be able to generate and verify checksums with static paths frustrated me to no end... (You'd think this was one of the most basic things that's needed for verifying checksum files )

Unforunately I still can't seem to figure out how to have SFV Ninja do all that I need, which is really quite simple:
I have two folders, say named Folder A and Folder B.
They're stored under different paths and have different names. Inside are other nested folders and files, which have the same general directory structure, but may or may not all match. What I'm trying to find out is exactly what's there and what's not, and for the ones that have same filename and path, whether they're indeed the exact same files.

So I need a file checksum tool that can do the following:

1. Scan and generate checksum files such as SFV or other formats for a folder, e.g. Folder A, with all subfolders and files inside.
2. Use the generated checksum file to compare against another folder, with different path and top level folder name, e.g. Folder B for the contents INSIDE.
3. Generate a report that tells me what matches and what's missing/changed. This doesn't have to be very comprehensive, but should be easy to read.

In the short amount of time I had left for the evening, I couldn't test SFV Ninja very thoroughly, but it seems it already got two out of the three down pretty well. Tihe only issue I have left is how can I accomplish the missing one (#2 in the steps)?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:41 AM by Cocoa »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40 AM »
They're stored under different paths and have different names. Inside are other nested folders and files, which have the same general directory structure, but may or may not all match. What I'm trying to find out is exactly what's there and what's not, and for the ones that have same filename and patch, whether they're indeed the exact same files.

The fact that SFV Ninja stores relative paths instead of absolute paths lets you accomplish what you want:

• Use SFV Ninja to create a checksum file for Folder A.
  • Save the resulting checksum file in Folder A.
  • Move the checksum file (or copy it) to Folder B.
  • Open the checksum file with SFV Ninja and have it verify the checksums.

That said, it sounds like what you actually want is a diff program, such as WinMerge.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:34 PM by Deozaan »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2017, 12:31 PM »
They're stored under different paths and have different names. Inside are other nested folders and files, which have the same general directory structure, but may or may not all match. What I'm trying to find out is exactly what's there and what's not, and for the ones that have same filename and patch, whether they're indeed the exact same files.

Even though I'm the developer of SFV Ninja, as Deo mentioned, what you need is a diff program -- something like Beyond Compare from Scooter Software.  Here's a screenshot showing what you're describing:

FolderCompare.pngRelease: SFV Ninja (Simple File Verification application)

Beyond Compare is a wonderful program that I've used for over ten years.

Cocoa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2017, 05:18 AM »

The fact that SFV Ninja stores relative paths instead of absolute paths lets you accomplish what you want:

• Use SFV Ninja to create a checksum file for Folder A.
  • Save the resulting checksum file in Folder A.
  • Move the checksum file (or copy it) to Folder B.
  • Open the checksum file with SFV Ninja and have it verify the checksums.
That's what I thought would be the steps, except when I created the checksum file and moved it to the other folder, then selected "Load checksum file" -> "Verify All", all I got was the program re-verifying all the files in the initial folder that the checksum was created from. I also tried "Scan folder for checksum file and load" and got the same result.

Also would like to make a suggestion to Jody/skwire (not sure which you prefer), can you add a "clear selected" option? Sometimes someone might want to clear only a portion of the results or list before saving it to file, and being able to clear the exact ones a user needs instead of everything or everything of one type would be nice.

Additionally, thank you both for the software suggestions. I'm aware of WinMerge, though I haven't heard of Beyond Compare before. At a glance, Beyond Compare would seem to be perfect for my other need of maintaining and cross syncing backups of folders and files on multiple hard drives. I've been searching for something like that as well, so thank you! I'll definitely give it a try.

It's true that from the singular usage example I described, there are other types of software that can do what I need. But I really value efficiency in software and like to look for applications that can do as much of what I need as possible, with as little resource usage as possible. Since I also have a need for generating sfv files to send to other people for their verification purposes, I was mainly trying to find such a checksum generating software that could also let me compare the two folders in this way. It would seem to be a very simple and basic usage need that's quite standard for this type of application. I honestly did not anticipate the difficulty I would have in finding what I needed, but I'm very glad I came here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:35 AM by Cocoa »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2017, 11:02 AM »
That's what I thought would be the steps, except when I created the checksum file and moved it to the other folder, then selected "Load checksum file" -> "Verify All", all I got was the program re-verifying all the files in the initial folder that the checksum was created from. I also tried "Scan folder for checksum file and load" and got the same result.

This might be a bit confusing but where you save the SFV file is important in relation to which files are in the list:

• Files that are on the same drive as the saved SFV file path are saved with paths relative to the save folder.
  • Files that are on a different drive than the saved SFV file path are saved with full paths.

So, in your example of using Folder A and Folder B, you load the contents of Folder A in SFV Ninja, check them, and then you must save the SFV directly in Folder A in order to generate the correct relative paths for use when you move the SFV file to Folder B.  Does this make sense?

Also would like to make a suggestion to Jody/skwire (not sure which you prefer), can you add a "clear selected" option?

I can add it to the menu (oversight on my part) but, in the meantime, simply press Delete after selecting/highlighting the items you want to remove.