ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: Instant Notes - move mouse to top left corner to pop up a notepad

(1/3) > >>

tannim:
Hey guys.  My first time here.

Yes, yet another notepad thing, they're everywhere and way over done, but I liked this idea enough to type it out anyway.

An instant notepad/text box that pops up when you move your mouse cursor to locations 0,0(could add 1,0 0,1 and 1,1 I suppose).  The notepad would load a default note file, take system focus, and position the cursor at the end of the file on a new blank line.  You type in what you want, then move your cursor away.  It would then save the file, close the notepad/text box, and return focus to the program it took focus from.

I chose 0,0 because the mouse is almost never at that spot without purposefully going there.  It is very easy to get to with almost no chance of missing it as well.  Even if you do accidentally get there, simply move the mouse away to go back to work.

A user customizable hotkey would allow you to lock the notepad/text box open for copy and paste operations with the mouse.

The goal is not to make a notepad replacement, just to make an instant and effortless no click required way to type out thoughts, paste copied text, and generally get back to work as soon as possible.

I tried to make something in autohotkey to do this but I never managed anything usable.  

mouser:
Just a quick comment -- as someone who is pretty visual and mouse-loving, i still think you might be better off with a solution that used a hotkey to bring up notebox to type into, and hotkey to make it go away.

Whether thats something like Skwire's Anuran, or a notetaking plugin for my Find and Run Robot program, i just think that would be more comfortable and faster than moving mouse somewhere.

AndyM:
Second that. 

You are still going to have to take your hand off the mouse in order to type your note.  So leave the mouse where it was, hit your hotkey, which starts your script.  The script remembers which window was active when it was started, so after typing when you exit your note you are easily returned to your original active window just before the script ends.

I tried to make something in autohotkey to do this but I never managed anything usable.
--- End quote ---

Did you get stuck on the mouse activation (which we are suggesting you discard)?  Did you get something useable in the way of opening, editing, and saving your note file?  If so, try starting (and perhaps exiting) that with a hotkey, and look into the autohotkey ActiveWindow commands.

cranioscopical:
@tannim

You might also take a look at Quicknote which fulfills at least some of your requirements, if not all.

Paul Keith:
(Just being a devil's advocate)

The con of hotkeys though is the high risk of program conflict.

Imagine having a program maximized and the hotkey opens up the notepad instead.

I do use a minimized to tray Akelpad for this though. Love auto saving only when mouse loses focus on the window (so all I do is alt+tab or minimize the window and it saves) Too bad there's no plugin for auto-opening a new tab off of clicking the tray icon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version