ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the Windows Helvetica equivalent (original Helvetica from a Mac)

<< < (3/4) > >>

superboyac:
Thanks 40!!  Such great information there.
I'm going to spend some time on all this real soon.  We can't use Mac system fonts for our documents, so I have to choose a third party font that is going to be nice and functional.  Thanks for the math font tip, as well.

Curt:
In my nsh opinion too many versions of Minion have not been updated for too long. Several members does not have the euro sign, €, some not even at, @
But maybe my versions all were cheap (free) rip-offs?

40hz:
@SB - in your explorations also take a look at the Lucida font family. Scientific American used to use it for all their stuff. It's very popular in the tech publishing world since there's good support for mathematical character sets. It's also one of the few font families that contains both serif and san serif typefaces. Wikipedia has a pretty good article on it here.

Nice looking too. Especially Lucida Bright, which is another one of those typefaces that's a pleasure to read. Text looks especially good using a slightly larger (12/12.5 point) sizes with Lucida. It also stays readable when it's slightly condensed by tightening up on your tracking settings. Pretty much perfect for a technical textbook!

8)

cranioscopical:

Interesting...

In my mind's eye, I've always seen Chris' comments as being set in meticulously kerned 12pt Minion Italic Display.  

-40hz (March 24, 2011, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is interesting!

I've found that most sufferers assume the setting to be an asylum somewhere…   :-[

40hz:
In my nsh opinion too many versions of Minion have not been updated for too long. Several members does not have the euro sign, €, some not even at, @
But maybe my versions all were cheap (free) rip-offs?
-Curt (March 24, 2011, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

You may need to get the 'real' (i.e. Adobe) version of Minion.

AFAIK all OpenType editions of Adobe fonts now include their own Euro symbol.

MinionPro does for sure. Sample sheet here.

If you have a font missing a Euro, Adobe has created a free for download set of 16 different €s that should blend quite well with just about any font out there.
 Info here.

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version