ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the Windows Helvetica equivalent (original Helvetica from a Mac)

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
So, I'm trying to figure out what is the EXACT windows equivalent for Helvetica on Windows.  I have documents that have been created on a Mac, and now I want to use these documents in Windows without altering the font at all.  Now, most google searches will say that Arial is the equivalent of Helvetica on Windows.   But that's not my question.  I want to know what Helvetica font is the SAME as the default Helvetica font that comes standard on Mac computers.

Here's the issue.  If you want to use Helvetica on Windows, you have to get one of the fonts from Adobe or Linotype, or whatever.  But the names are not the same, and there are so many varieties, it's hard to tell which is the exact equivalent.  For macs, it's just called "Helvetica.dfont", and if you get the Helvetica font on Windows, you will have dozens of options, and none of them are simply "Helvetica".  And that's just the beginning.  Even if you pick the right font, there are the sub-family fonts with it, which is a ton also.

And these are Indesign documents, meticulously created, so I don't want any substituting happening.  yes, I know Arial is almost exactly the same as Helvetica, but I just want to have it seamless from Mac to Windows, and vice versa.  Besides, I prefer Helvetica over Arial, I'm very picky.

Any thoughts?

Renegade:
Any thoughts?
-superboyac (March 23, 2011, 08:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Abandon all hope? :P

I'd say go post in a forum specifically for design and typography. It's a very hard question and requires significant expertise in typography to answer well. A few people here might be able to answer you, but you might be better off in a dedicated forum for typography/design.

superboyac:
Any thoughts?
-superboyac (March 23, 2011, 08:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Abandon all hope? :P

I'd say go post in a forum specifically for design and typography. It's a very hard question and requires significant expertise in typography to answer well. A few people here might be able to answer you, but you might be better off in a dedicated forum for typography/design.
-Renegade (March 23, 2011, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you (or anyone) know of a good typography forum?

I've been thinking about it, and after I'm done with this project, I have to go back and fine tune all this stuff.  I need to think about what fonts are going to be best for cross-compatibility, and also revisit how I've put the documents together.  Ok, thanks!

Deozaan:
Do you (or anyone) know of a good typography forum?
-superboyac (March 23, 2011, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

These are just guesses, but you might want to try one of:

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/
http://writers.stackexchange.com/

Or somewhere else in the Stack Exchange.

Renegade:
Sorry. I don't know. My knowledge of typography is pretty limited -- basic design knowledge. But +1 for Stack Exchange. It's always a good place to look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version