ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Output to a DAC using Foobar+ASIO

(1/2) > >>

nosh:
I recently upgraded my sound system and got a DAC to go along with the new equipment.

The DAC has been set as the default output device in Windows and it shows up as "USB Audio DAC" in Foobar. Foobar also supports an ASIO plugin. Does one of these methods have an advantage over the other?

Someone on an audiophile forum mentioned that ASIO would give far superior sound quality, I'm wondering if he misunderstood and assumed I was comparing it to DirectSound or some other method which would involve Windows processing the audio. If it's all the same I'd much rather not use ASIO and save myself the hassle of configuring and updating the ASIO component.

nosh:
Solved: The "USB Audio DAC" option does route the sound through kmixer, so it was a false assumption on my part that it did not. Should have got a hint by the fact that I could hear other Windows sounds while the music was playing.

40hz:
All depends on what you plan on doing with your DAC box.

ASIO is a low latency driver which can give you better audio quality mainly by virtue of the large number of professional 3rd-party plugins you can get that use it.

It also allows for programming direct low-level access to audio hardware components without needing to go through intermediate processing steps. This pays off big time when you're doing something like playing a software synth through your DAC and you don't want to deal with occasional time lags that may crop up between between pressing a key and hearing the sound.

So if you're doing synthesis or sampling (especially using keyboards in real time) or you plan on doing live recording or studio type post production work on audio tracks, ASIO is probably the better choice. Especially if you want to start exploring the world of pro-audio plugins.

For simple playback, home theater, games, and much everything else, DirectSound should work just fine.

That's my 2ยข anyway. :)

nosh:
I would have to agree with you. I can hardly not tell the difference between the two.  :)

f0dder:
I didn't think ASIO vs. regular drivers had anything to do with sound quality, only latency?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version