topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A-Data USB 3.0 32 GB flash drive  (Read 2799 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A-Data USB 3.0 32 GB flash drive
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:09 PM »
I bought this drive when newly released priced in the $60 range. I just spotted it for $43 with free US shipping at SuperMediaStore:

http://www.supermedi...;max=15&offset=0

Even plugged into a USB 2.0 port I get 24 MB/s write speed with this.  Plugged into a USB 3.0 port I get writes in the 35 MB/s range. The only "flaw" I've found so far is if you absolutely have to see flashing LED, this isn't for you. :)

I very much like that it's solid body. No "sliding guts" design.  The cap pops off but you can snap it onto the tail end.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A-Data USB 3.0 32 GB flash drive
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Nice stats.

Speaking of caps to tail end. These ones are cap to tail end too but almost everyone I know, including myself, has them on a key chain, so there goes that idea. I doubt the designers really thought it through.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A-Data USB 3.0 32 GB flash drive
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Right. No hole for lanyard or key chain.  This one is so slim you could have like a metal tube on your key chain and slide the drive in the tube instead of taking it off the chain or letting your keys hang.  Now somebody will steal my idea and make a mint. :)

Something like this
only stream-lined for this thin drive.

But then the key chain might cost more than the drive. :(

There has to be some alternative to "sliding guts" design. I hate that more than anything.

edit: if they're not going to put a hole for a key chain then I guess they should put a pocket clip on the thing.  While searching I found a do it yourself guy who cuts the USB extension cable and glues an eyelet into it. He sticks the drive into the connector and lets it hang from the key chain.  Another dude takes a pocket clip from a mechanical pencil and crimps it on..

Worst one though is this key drive rack made with connectors mounted in a plastic bar:

http://blog.ziggytek...-usb-usb-key-holder/

Lousy design with the weight at a right angle to the connector.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:50 PM by MilesAhead »