ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Software is Boring, Apps are Fun (Hint: Apple Discussion again)

<< < (3/3)

Renegade:
+1 for create vs. consume.

I think that will change though as input technology evolves, e.g. voice with decent environmental background noise filtering (see Melodyne above). Hopefully it will change.

What would be cool is to see "the room" as the computer. The next level in desktop computing. :)

Apple paralyzed people in the name of 'GTD and less is more type' of thingy. Some jobs requires a lot of detailing and features, take any music software or finance software for example, they need a lot of features. Not a single mobile platform app, is going to solve this issue. You may find some apps doing job of desktop software, but you're limited with view, typing and many other thought inputs that makes you do better on desktop, not on mobile. So my point is in case of niche softwares (music, finance etc), you can attract customers but can't get them to run on longer term with apps. Desktop softwares come with detailing and features so these softwares.
-mahesh2k (March 21, 2011, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that desktop and mobile need to compliment each other more than we see now. That would be exciting.

I will give anyone all of the credits in my DC account if they can give an example of anything in the mobile world that comes close to that level of innovation.
--- End quote ---

Nokia 1110i and previous phones used to have feature to bar unwanted numbers, all modern nokia and sony erricson phones lack this feature in their mobile sets(as per my observation). Zen wisdom says, 'face yer fears, don't run away from it' and following that quote all the mobile app companies and apple cuts features like this which are necessary. That's ancient solution to demanding innovation ;)
-mahesh2k (March 21, 2011, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Might be ancient wisdom, but it's not earning you the rest of my credits~! :)

wraith808:
+1 for create vs. consume.
-Renegade (March 22, 2011, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree to a certain point- though the lines are becoming blurred for me.  I use my ipad more and more during creation for ancillary benefits to the process, i.e. having reference up while I create on something else.  Though that's definitely consumption- it does feed into the creation process...

JavaJones:
I used to think voice input was going to be huge some day, but now I sort of hope not. Can you imagine sitting in a cafe with everyone talking to their smart phones? UGH! Sure the "background noise" tech for speech recognition may be improved to the point where that would work in a technical sense, but in a humanistic sense, it's not a world I want to live in.

Ultimately it's also not just about input devices either (though that's a big part of it). I guess maybe it's a feedback loop where the limited input controls, screen size, and processing power (compared to a desktop app) influence the app developer's programming and UI development to the point where consumption is the easiest and most well realized use case. The only way that's going to change is if these portable app-centric devices gain more CPU, more display size/resolution, and better input precision and speed. The latter is probably the most challenging, though there will be limitations on smart phone display size for the foreseeable future just as a matter of practicality (until they can beam it right into our brains :D).

Tablets are a bit different, and that's where I'd expect to see some divergence from the typical consumption-oriented app development paradigm, if at all. Certainly that has shown to be somewhat the case already, but I wonder how much that will really grow. There seems to be a practical limit to just how productive most people will be able to be on tablets without significant changes to the input systems and/or form factor.

- Oshyan

Shades:
@JavaJones:
See the opening scenes from the movie, "the invention of lying'. Those show you the perfect example of awkwardness that voice input can establish   :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version