Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 24, 2014, 08:03:06 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why don't browsers show page title in the titlebar anymore?  (Read 5719 times)
MrCrispy
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 17, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »

I think it was Chrome that started this stupid trend - the page title is only displayed in the tab, and the window title is empty. Now they all do it - IE, Firefox 4. It makes it impossible to see what page you're on when there are more than 5-10 tabs open, without hovering over each.

I don't see any reason to do this.
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:22:44 PM »

In chrome, this actually makes sense since it has the tabs on the title bar, so there's no space for the page's title. I can see why you find it annoying, but personally I'd rather have a few more vertical pixels for the page than have the page title there.

On the other browsers, it simply just doesn't make sense smiley

housetier
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »

However, my FF4 shows page titles in window titles

Could it be a setting somewhere?
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »

browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar perhaps
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:48:26 PM »

Fx4 is a usability disaster anyway. I'm rather happy that we have Dactyl/Vimperator and (on my main machines) add-ons that bring back my old Fx3 layout...

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one infuriated by this. IE9 no longer shows the page title in the titlebar and it's ok as long as you've only got one or two tabs.. if you've got a bunch of tabs open, it's a nightmare.

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
MrCrispy
Participant

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »

Fx4 is a usability disaster anyway. I'm rather happy that we have Dactyl/Vimperator and (on my main machines) add-ons that bring back my old Fx3 layout...

Link (or names) to the addons please? Is it this one - https://addons.mozilla.or...fox-3-theme-for-firefox/?
MilesAhead

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »

The really weird thing is after I go to a page, sometimes Chromium blanks the address bar.  I forget if it fills in if I click the mouse in there. If I try to deliberately get it to do it then it likely won't happen, just to spite me. smiley

mahesh2k
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 03:57:24 AM »

Is it possible to get classic view for Firefox 4 ? I don't like the new modifications :/
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 04:38:36 AM »

Is it possible to get classic view for Firefox 4 ? I don't like the new modifications :/

Isn't that just like turning all the toolbars on?

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
InstantFundas
Participant

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »

Turn on the menu bar.

Instant Fundas - Freeware reviews, Web Apps, Tech News
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »

I think it was Chrome that started this stupid trend - the page title is only displayed in the tab, and the window title is empty. Now they all do it - IE, Firefox 4. It makes it impossible to see what page you're on when there are more than 5-10 tabs open, without hovering over each.

When I first saw this topic, I was 100% ready to jump in and adamantly agree. For me a dozen tabs in a browser window is a good start. But then I saw the part about IE doing the same seeming foolish blank title thing ... And it got me thinking...Does it?!?

Here's the thing, I saw the thread at work, where I use IE8, which still has page titles. SO I had to wait until I got home, where I use IE9, to see this with my own eyes ... And there were no titles.

...Now I'd have sworn, that I both used and depended on them. But the (apparent) reality is that I didn't even notice they were gone.
widgewunner

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 01:32:36 PM »

Opera 11 still has it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.078s | Server load: 0.41 ]