ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Lyx is the answer

<< < (10/12) > >>

JavaJones:
If we knew more about the original project requirements here I think it would help determine the best approach though.

- Oshyan

--- End quote ---

I think Aram mentioned what he was doing in a previous thread. He's creating study review guides to help people prepare for a professional licensing exam.

:)
-40hz (March 16, 2011, 09:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, must have missed that. Still, professional *what*? Why the math equations? How much are they used?

- Oshyan

superboyac:
Actually, 40, had I not suggested mathtype to my partner, he was going to do it just as you said: creating the vector art directly in the program (Indesign, not Illustrator, although he was doing it there also).
Your way is logical, and also just cool.  I actually wouldn't mind doing it (I'm very particular about how to present math solutions properly).  But in our case, it's clearly not a good use of time and resources.  You're more like my partner in this stuff, he enjoys the personal touch in all of this.  

When I used to design more in my early career, I was very proud of my CAD toolbox of symbols I had made.  Very similar to this.  Like math, these are all common engineering symbols, but I liked how I had done everything just the way I like it.  The proportions, the spacing, the snap points, etc.  I felt like I had designed my own font.

Yeah, but for this project, I'd like to automate it as much as possible.  I already save all my calculations using the fantastic SpaceTime program on the ipad and Windows.  So after we publish the books in a couple of weeks, I'm going to go back and try to fine tune all the content as far as automation, consistency, styling, database, all that stuff.  This is part of that effort.  We're already done writing everything, so I don't NEED it.  SO I want to take it to the next level and find a more optimum method.  This is what I waste my time with.  I'm sure my partner will think it's a little over the top.  But this is what I do.

superboyac:
If we knew more about the original project requirements here I think it would help determine the best approach though.

- Oshyan

--- End quote ---

I think Aram mentioned what he was doing in a previous thread. He's creating study review guides to help people prepare for a professional licensing exam.

:)
-40hz (March 16, 2011, 09:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, must have missed that. Still, professional *what*? Why the math equations? How much are they used?

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (March 16, 2011, 11:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
Please.  I'll explain it all in a couple of weeks.  Let me finish it up first.  But...in the meantime...the whole thing is chock full of math.

JavaJones:
Roger. Sounds like at this point it's more of a "how to tackle the revision/next project" type of consideration anyway, so best to wait for completion of the current to fully consider and test.

- Oshyan

superboyac:
Roger. Sounds like at this point it's more of a "how to tackle the revision/next project" type of consideration anyway, so best to wait for completion of the current to fully consider and test.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (March 17, 2011, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah.  It was much too manual for my tastes, but my partner didn't mind.  I just need to know if there's a better way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version