ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Lyx is the answer

<< < (7/12) > >>

superboyac:
The chestnut we used back in the old days was that LaTeX was not a WYSIWYG ("What you see is what you get") editor, but a WYSIWYW ("what you see is what you want") editor. And the way you inform TeX what you want is by editing rawtext stylesheets by hand - essentially, exactly what you (the OP, I mean) said when you pointed out that you don't know how to write your own stylesheets in the XML editor under discussion. And if it doesn't give you what you want, you nudge & fiddle with & otherwise coax that code until your output looks right.
To wrap up, let me share with you my current emotional state: when my grandfather told me tales of the Depression, he'd joke "Oh, it was terrible. Abysmal. Worst times of my life. Can't for the life of me figure out why I feel nostalgia when I tell you stories about it." I feel like grampa, right now.
-superboyac (March 16, 2011, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

superboyac:
Forget it.  Latex is no good.  Indesign all the way.  Now, for the blasted math typography.

Mathtype:
Does everything fine, but the EPS export inside Indesign looks like shit.  All pixelated and barely legible.  prints fine.  Still, I'd like to see what it looks like before printing.  This is on a mac.  I'll have to try on a PC.  Or maybe there's another way to import it into ID.  One thing i don't want to do is import it, and have to still fiddle around with it inside ID.

MathMagic:
haven't tried it, but it's supposed to be the best.  Very expensive...$700 for the professional version needed for Indesign.  it costs more than indesign.  Indesign really needs to add math funcionality to the program.  it's the freaking industry standard, cmon! (Gob).

timns:
I agree, Armando.  I've been looking into it a little more and I think I have to stick to Indesign.  I found this quote:
The learning curve for LaTeX is both deep and broad. In my opinion it's harder to learn than C, C++, Java, Perl and the like. But learn it you must, unless you're willing to accept every LyX default for the document class you've chosen.
--- End quote ---
-superboyac (March 16, 2011, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

And I find this quote... a load of baloney. I have just been getting misty-eyed over some old TeX and LaTeX documents I wrote way back when, it's not hard at all. Maybe the person who wrote that quote has not done much programming.

\[
        \frac{d}{dx}\left( \int_{0}^{x} f(u)\,du\right)=f(x).
     \]

Does that look so hard? 10 minutes with a tutorial.

Armando:
Please... don't "link" me to that quote... :) LyX is effectively perfect for that type of stuff.
(And I agree : not that complicated. The main matter here IMO isn't "complication" per se but needs and workflow.)

timns:
Please... don't "link" me to that quote... :) LyX is effectively perfect for that type of stuff.
(And I agree : not that complicated. The main matter here IMO isn't "complication" per se but needs and workflow.)
-Armando (March 16, 2011, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nevah! I had a feeling it was a quote from someone with quite limited experience  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version