topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [PREDICTION] You Will Eat a Tablet in the Next Few Years  (Read 6017 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I can see it coming. We are all going to having tablets rammed down our throats in the very near future.

The form factor is too good. They're too versatile. They will create new applications to streamline processes in daily life. Just imagine what could be done in education alone.

Not that it's a bad thing, but it's going to alienate some people.

Now, for my apologies... I know that some were expecting tabs of LSD. Sorry to disappoint. :P

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [PREDICTION] You Will Eat a Tablet in the Next Few Years
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:39 AM »
Now, for my apologies... I know that some were expecting tabs of LSD. Sorry to disappoint. :P
Awww maaaaan, I thought this was going to be the second coming of Bear :(
- carpe noctem

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:41 AM »
No, I knew what you were referring to, I just thought you had some news that the next gen iPad was to be made out of bioplastic and corn syrup.

Cheese flavored, if you please...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:10 AM »
Not likely to happen here, unless someone decides to produce one that's a quadcore with at least 2G ram, runs windows, and has a DVD burner, usb ports, a keyboard and a mouse, and works with my dsl...for under $200.

If they are anything like the current models, they will have to force those tabs of LSD on me first and then sell me one while I am under the influence.  ;D

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 03:39 AM »
If they are anything like the current models, they will have to force those tabs of LSD on me first and then sell me one while I am under the influence.  ;D
Now, this made me ponder a bit...

Do you reckon Apple users have all been drugged with Scopolaminew? That'd kinda explain a few things.
- carpe noctem

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:59 AM »
If they are anything like the current models, they will have to force those tabs of LSD on me first and then sell me one while I am under the influence.  ;D
Now, this made me ponder a bit...

Do you reckon Apple users have all been drugged with Scopolaminew? That'd kinda explain a few things.

Ever notice how an Apple store looks more clean & clinical than most hospitals? I figured it was because they were performing lobotomies.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 05:51 AM »
Ever notice how an Apple store looks more clean & clinical than most hospitals? I figured it was because they were performing lobotomies.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA~! :D :D :D :D :D

That was good~!  :Thmbsup:

russell.williams

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 02:56 PM »
http://www.wxpnews.com/

And the real news is that forecasters see the percentage of laptops starting to decline in 2012, with desktop sales decreasing even further. The winner looks to be tablets, sales of which are expected to steadily increase.

And while the Forrester report has laptop sales still comfortably out front in 2015, real world experience may tell a different story. In September of last year, Wired Magazine reported that Best Buy Chief Executive Brian Dunn said the iPad had replaced as much as half of all laptop sales at their stores.
http://www.wxpnews.c...ptop-Cannibalization

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:08 PM »
http://www.wxpnews.com/

And the real news is that forecasters see the percentage of laptops starting to decline in 2012, with desktop sales decreasing even further. The winner looks to be tablets, sales of which are expected to steadily increase.

And while the Forrester report has laptop sales still comfortably out front in 2015, real world experience may tell a different story. In September of last year, Wired Magazine reported that Best Buy Chief Executive Brian Dunn said the iPad had replaced as much as half of all laptop sales at their stores.
http://www.wxpnews.c...ptop-Cannibalization

-russell.williams (March 23, 2011, 02:56 PM)

Timely. I've got some stuff on my desk at the moment from a client that will be using tablets (mobile platforms) to revolutionize education. It's wicked cool stuff.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 08:50 PM »
To me it just proves that half of the people that buy laptops don't really need them.

In the 6 years I've had my laptop, I've probably used it less than 15 hours total. Typically for some manner of diagnostic (or router configuration), that only required that I have a network connection and a command prompt or browser window.

So I could easily deal with a much smaller & lighter device ... as long as it had a proper OS that would run whatever app~lication I chose to write for it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 08:57 PM »
To me it just proves that half of the people that buy laptops don't really need them.

In the 6 years I've had my laptop, I've probably used it less than 15 hours total. Typically for some manner of diagnostic (or router configuration), that only required that I have a network connection and a command prompt or browser window.

So I could easily deal with a much smaller & lighter device ... as long as it had a proper OS that would run whatever app~lication I chose to write for it.

That's a very important thing, and one that iOS makes very difficult to do. The deployment process is through Apple exclusively. You can get an enterprise developer subscription, but it is much more expensive, and doesn't make sense if you need to deploy to only a few devices.

Speaking of... My Apple developer subscriptions are coming to an end... Sigh... Pay for the right to develop for a platform? Just nutty.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 09:00 PM »
There's a parallel discussion going on in https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=25577.0