topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: List & print all hotkeys used by programs  (Read 4335 times)

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: List & print all hotkeys used by programs
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:34 AM »
I dunno if there's already something like this out there (I wasn't able to find anything), but I was looking for a simple program that would find and list all hotkeys used by programs (Windows, Office, Firefox, etc.) and be able to print them (not necessarily modify).

Anyone?  :-[

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: List & print all hotkeys used by programs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:49 AM »
If you mean system-wide hotkeys (key combinations that work regardless of what application is currently active), that's pretty much what my ActiveHotkeys does.

Caveat: Windows make it impossible to find out what program registered a particular hotkey. There just isn't a way to find this out. So ActiveHotkeys will tell you what system-wide hotkeys are registered, but not what apps they belong to.

(Oh, there's no way to print the list, sorry!)

However, if you want to know all the key combinations available within a particular application (e.g. Ctrl+N = New document in Word), than no, I don't think this can be done. There is no way to poll an application for all the key combinations it uses to trigger its functions.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:54 AM »
+1 for tranglos

@vevola
if you want to know all the key combinations available within a particular application

Some applications allow to set up your own hotkeys for all functions they offer, and if you're lucky you can even print that list.
In other cases you'd be studying the manual to get a list of hotkeys. If it's in the helpfile, then in most cases that's printable. :-\

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:44 AM »
Hmmm...!

I guess the specific reason why I was looking for something like this was because with all these extensions and addons in Firefox, I was trying to figure out what hotkeys were used (not just by FF but also by the addons), for what, and which ones were not.

thanks for the info guys!