ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Text Expander software for Windows

<< < (9/13) > >>

40hz:
Perhaps, we could request the user to solve a short RegEx quizz before the feature can be enabled. Somehow like skill-checking captcha.
--- End quote ---

I think that's a clever and very innovative approach.

I also think the average corporate user would feel highly insulted should they fail to pass it. They're a competitive bunch and have a tendency to look over their shoulders a lot.

I think it would be smarter and more politically expedient to either offer two separate versions or offer regex as an installable (and removable) option. Ideally with its own installer to cut down on the number of 'casual' installs.

Just my 2ยข  :)

bmms:
Oops, I forgot the smilie on my previous suggestion. It is not meant too serious.

However, the more I think about it, the more appealing the idea get. Normal users probably have no interest in the feature anyway. And if they can't answer the easy RegEx quizz, then the feature really is not useful for them. It would break more than it would help.

By the way, RegEx already works for every user but just the pre-defined "special functions" provided by us. Some sort of read-only phrases.

barney:
I think it would be smarter and more politically expedient to either offer two separate versions or offer regex as an installable (and removable) option. Ideally with its own installer to cut down on the number of 'casual' installs.
-40hz (March 18, 2011, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
+1

Set it as a plug-in module, installation optional.  That way, there's separate development of two (2) components, neither of which really rely upon the other (well, OK, the plug-in depends upon the main module, but development of the plug-in doesn't  ;D).

bmms:
Generally, it is a good idea to offer extra features as plug-ins or additonal product variations.

But users are already confused by our three editions (Easy, Standard, Pro) and we would like to avoid adding complexity in this area.

And Regex is totally integrated and fits so smartly into the general product architecture that it would be unnecessaryy overhead to make a plugin out of it.

We will probably add the feature via a command-line parameter.

40hz:

But users are already confused by our three editions (Easy, Standard, Pro) and we would like to avoid adding complexity in this area.-BartelsMedia (March 18, 2011, 08:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Suggest you talk to your sales department then.  ;D

Offering different 'editions' (i.e. feature sets) is a "pay to play" price tier strategy. Different 'editions' exist for marketing reasons more than anything else. 

If they didn't you could just create one edition, and turn on various 'extended' feature sets using a basic/intermediate/advanced switch.

If your customers are confused, there's a simple solution - stop confusing them.

Just come out and say you have versions of your program that pack additional capabilities and which are available at additional purchase cost. Don't be coy with "more powerful" and "professional version" blather. Just spell it out: additional features are available (to those who may need them) at additional cost.

I think most customers (or at least the type you want) would appreciate the candor.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version