ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Text Expander software for Windows

<< < (8/13) > >>

timns:
in one elegant expression
-timns (March 17, 2011, 04:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed, but the pessimistic still complaint that: You have a problem, you apply/throw a regex at it, then you have 2 problems...
-Ath (March 17, 2011, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not following you. We use RegEx to solve problems. Agreed bad regexes could cause problems, but so do a million other things... bad drivers, bad coders, out-of-date chicken...

Now, I agree that a lot of people are scared of RegEx, but it's like a lot of things: take a bit of time to learn it and it'll repay you many times over  :Thmbsup:

Ath:
I agree on regexes being an elegant solution to many problems, that would otherwise could be difficult to solve.

ppl scared of any regex, posted their opinion, that I quoted (without the quotes, sorry) above, that's the pessimistic group. I'm not in the pessimistic group...

timns:
I agree on regexes being an elegant solution to many problems, that would otherwise could be difficult to solve.

ppl scared of any regex, posted their opinion, that I quoted (without the quotes, sorry) above, that's the pessimistic group. I'm not in the pessimistic group...
-Ath (March 17, 2011, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

It did occur to me afterward that it didn't really sound like your normal 'tone'  :)

HOTGA:
I am a long time user and fan of Phrase Express. It is a wonderful application and I highly recommend its use to everyone. I have tried Breevy which I like too, but Phrase Express offers more in-depth functionality. I have used the professional version of Phrase Express since version 6 (its now up to version eight) and I love it. I consider myself a accomplished user of the software and I have taken time to test its more in-depth features, and yet I discover new uses for it everyday. I recommend those who had issues with earlier versions try the latest pro version and really see what the software has to offer. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has with respect to Phrase Express. I refuse to use a computer where it is not running!

bmms:
RegEx is a very good example.

PhraseExpress has RegEx support for a long time. The "Inline Calc" feature of PhraseExpress is based on it, for example:

However, as a few already stated, RegEx is a wild beast. It can do amazing things but at the same time is far too complex for average non-programmer users. Mistakes can easily render your keyboard useless (while the Text Expander is running).

You can offer such features if you are offering a "Take it or leave it" freeware that has no support obligations. Timns seems to provide nice support for you folks here but we as company would drown by support load within minutes if we would release such feature in our mainstream application, used by many corporations who rely on a stable software that must be bullet-proof.

It is a coincidence that we just discussed here whether to offer the RegEx feature in PhraseExpress for those who ask for. It would look like shown here: http://screencast.com/t/W0aVDibk5C

Perhaps, we could request the user to solve a short RegEx quizz before the feature can be enabled. Somehow like skill-checking captcha.

What do you think?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version