topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Best Text Expander software for Windows  (Read 54430 times)

caveatrob

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best Text Expander software for Windows
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 02:07 PM »
No love for Breevy? I've been using it quite a bit. Let me know if there's something I"m missing out on with other programs...

Renji

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 02:23 PM »
There's another one called PhraseExpress.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Darn, PE again? Looks like spambots love it.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 07:18 AM »
No love for Breevy? I've been using it quite a bit. Let me know if there's something I"m missing out on with other programs...
I'm using Breevy as well. Excellent program and a responsive author. Not as advanced as PE I suppose, but has the features I need.

Renji

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Darn, PE again? Looks like spambots love it.
-fenixproductions (March 16, 2011, 03:42 PM)

Had used it sometime back, so came to my mind. Not using PE or any other such software now!

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 08:26 AM »
Thanks for the input Renji and Mattphoes,
but there is a lot of info here about PE.
Just use the search on this forum and find 2 pages of hits.

I would like to know more about Breevy and Auspex, and I follow their development.
Although these programs help more with people who type a lot, imo.
Which I do sometimes, and it would help if we could see these others as well.
Personally I don't always say the same thing the same way,
sort of boring...

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Hi, Michael here from PhraseExpress.

I think they include an algorithm that tries to decide whether you're using it for personal or commercial purposes.  I can see why, but it must be very hard to make an accurate decision.

We used to give away free licenses to users who provide evidence for any claim that our commercial use detection would be malfunctioning. So far, we never had to issue a license for that reason.

Phrase Express is below the level of Auspex in light user specific input for features, as well as user custom settings.

We listen to user feedback with utmost care and would be sorry if you got a another impression.

However, PhraseExpress matured over 12 years and already include so many features driven by user demand that it becomes incrementally difficult to add new things as we want to be focussed. Nonetheless, we try our best to stay to be the innovator in our niche.

Just curious, as you compare PhraseExpress to Auspex. Is there any feature in Auspex, that you miss in PhraseExpress?

And I found Phrase Express to be more intrusive and overkill then helpful.

As always, it depends on what you make out of a tool. If you turn on all the "knobs", it does a lot of things. PhraseExpress is no exception.

But, PhraseExpress has an Easy Mode and an Expert Mode. If you feel overwhelmed by the complexity, the Easy mode is your blue pill.
Michael
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 03:55 PM by BartelsMedia »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 04:13 PM »
I think they include an algorithm that tries to decide whether you're using it for personal or commercial purposes.  I can see why, but it must be very hard to make an accurate decision.

We used to give away free licenses to users who provide evidence for any claim that our commercial use detection would be malfunctioning. So far, we never had to issue a license for that reason.
-BartelsMedia (March 17, 2011, 03:54 PM)

That's quite an achievement.  I used to write scripts that corrected for the multitude of various ways users could enter the names of products, and was constantly amazed at the variations they came up with...

You omitted:
Text snippets can be HTML-, RTF- and Microsoft Word text formatted and contain .JPG, .PNG. .BMP und .TIFF bitmap images.
  as the OP wanted to have formatted text, which, as far as I'm aware, not all text expanders offer.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 04:24 PM »
That's why you have RegEx... you can create a nice pattern match to catch a huge variation of names in one hit.

e.g. to{1,2}mor{1,2}ow
Catches: tomorow, tommorow, tommorrow in one elegant expression

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 04:28 PM »
in one elegant expression
Agreed, but the pessimistic still complaint that: You have a problem, you apply/throw a regex at it, then you have 2 problems...

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 04:31 PM »
in one elegant expression
Agreed, but the pessimistic still complaint that: You have a problem, you apply/throw a regex at it, then you have 2 problems...

Not following you. We use RegEx to solve problems. Agreed bad regexes could cause problems, but so do a million other things... bad drivers, bad coders, out-of-date chicken...

Now, I agree that a lot of people are scared of RegEx, but it's like a lot of things: take a bit of time to learn it and it'll repay you many times over  :Thmbsup:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 05:44 PM »
I agree on regexes being an elegant solution to many problems, that would otherwise could be difficult to solve.

ppl scared of any regex, posted their opinion, that I quoted (without the quotes, sorry) above, that's the pessimistic group. I'm not in the pessimistic group...

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 07:23 PM »
I agree on regexes being an elegant solution to many problems, that would otherwise could be difficult to solve.

ppl scared of any regex, posted their opinion, that I quoted (without the quotes, sorry) above, that's the pessimistic group. I'm not in the pessimistic group...

It did occur to me afterward that it didn't really sound like your normal 'tone'  :)

HOTGA

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • We code in peace - take us to your leader....
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 11:34 PM »
I am a long time user and fan of Phrase Express. It is a wonderful application and I highly recommend its use to everyone. I have tried Breevy which I like too, but Phrase Express offers more in-depth functionality. I have used the professional version of Phrase Express since version 6 (its now up to version eight) and I love it. I consider myself a accomplished user of the software and I have taken time to test its more in-depth features, and yet I discover new uses for it everyday. I recommend those who had issues with earlier versions try the latest pro version and really see what the software has to offer. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has with respect to Phrase Express. I refuse to use a computer where it is not running!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:36 PM by HOTGA »

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 04:16 AM »
RegEx is a very good example.

PhraseExpress has RegEx support for a long time. The "Inline Calc" feature of PhraseExpress is based on it, for example:

pex7_calc_ani_en.gif

However, as a few already stated, RegEx is a wild beast. It can do amazing things but at the same time is far too complex for average non-programmer users. Mistakes can easily render your keyboard useless (while the Text Expander is running).

You can offer such features if you are offering a "Take it or leave it" freeware that has no support obligations. Timns seems to provide nice support for you folks here but we as company would drown by support load within minutes if we would release such feature in our mainstream application, used by many corporations who rely on a stable software that must be bullet-proof.

It is a coincidence that we just discussed here whether to offer the RegEx feature in PhraseExpress for those who ask for. It would look like shown here: http://screencast.com/t/W0aVDibk5C

Perhaps, we could request the user to solve a short RegEx quizz before the feature can be enabled. Somehow like skill-checking captcha.

What do you think?
Michael
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:08 AM by BartelsMedia »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 08:19 AM »
Perhaps, we could request the user to solve a short RegEx quizz before the feature can be enabled. Somehow like skill-checking captcha.

I think that's a clever and very innovative approach.

I also think the average corporate user would feel highly insulted should they fail to pass it. They're a competitive bunch and have a tendency to look over their shoulders a lot.

I think it would be smarter and more politically expedient to either offer two separate versions or offer regex as an installable (and removable) option. Ideally with its own installer to cut down on the number of 'casual' installs.

Just my 2ยข  :)

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 08:30 AM »
Oops, I forgot the smilie on my previous suggestion. It is not meant too serious.

However, the more I think about it, the more appealing the idea get. Normal users probably have no interest in the feature anyway. And if they can't answer the easy RegEx quizz, then the feature really is not useful for them. It would break more than it would help.

By the way, RegEx already works for every user but just the pre-defined "special functions" provided by us. Some sort of read-only phrases.
Michael

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 08:37 AM »
I think it would be smarter and more politically expedient to either offer two separate versions or offer regex as an installable (and removable) option. Ideally with its own installer to cut down on the number of 'casual' installs.
+1

Set it as a plug-in module, installation optional.  That way, there's separate development of two (2) components, neither of which really rely upon the other (well, OK, the plug-in depends upon the main module, but development of the plug-in doesn't  ;D).

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 08:40 AM »
Generally, it is a good idea to offer extra features as plug-ins or additonal product variations.

But users are already confused by our three editions (Easy, Standard, Pro) and we would like to avoid adding complexity in this area.

And Regex is totally integrated and fits so smartly into the general product architecture that it would be unnecessaryy overhead to make a plugin out of it.

We will probably add the feature via a command-line parameter.
Michael

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 09:10 AM »

But users are already confused by our three editions (Easy, Standard, Pro) and we would like to avoid adding complexity in this area.
-BartelsMedia (March 18, 2011, 08:40 AM)

Suggest you talk to your sales department then.  ;D

Offering different 'editions' (i.e. feature sets) is a "pay to play" price tier strategy. Different 'editions' exist for marketing reasons more than anything else. 

If they didn't you could just create one edition, and turn on various 'extended' feature sets using a basic/intermediate/advanced switch.

If your customers are confused, there's a simple solution - stop confusing them.

Just come out and say you have versions of your program that pack additional capabilities and which are available at additional purchase cost. Don't be coy with "more powerful" and "professional version" blather. Just spell it out: additional features are available (to those who may need them) at additional cost.

I think most customers (or at least the type you want) would appreciate the candor.  :)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 09:15 AM »
+1 to 40hz comments. I absolutely despise the use of "edition" terminology when it is not appropriate.

caveatrob

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 12:08 PM »
Would love to see a comparison of Breevy and PhraseExpress.

Breevy continually adds new things-  did you know that you can make a folder full of abbreviations pop up as a context menu in any window for you to choose an abbreviation?

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 12:18 PM »
did you know that you can make a folder full of abbreviations pop up as a context menu in any window for you to choose an abbreviation?

PhraseExpress does this since 2006:

It also has some unique extra features:

• PhraseExpress automatically offers a popup menu when you re-use the same Autotext for multiple phrases.
  • You can also assign a hotkey instead of just an Autotext which offers additional options to quickly select the desired item from the popup menu.
  • The popup does not interrupt your typing flow when it is shown. If you ignore it, it automatically disappears after a few keystrokes.
  • You can make any popup menu a "floating menu" that stays on the desktop for easy access.
  • Phrases can also be selected via a customizable quick-key.
  • A preview of the phrase contents is shown if you hover over items in the popup.
  • The popup menu look can be configured in detail.

Here is a list of features in PhraseExpress for comparison.
Michael
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:50 PM by BartelsMedia »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2011, 10:35 PM »
Is it just me, or is some of this thread starting to read like an ad?  ;)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:39 PM by 40hz »

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Is it just me, or is some of this thread starting to read like an ad?  ;)

Been that way for quite a few posts, methinks  :'( :P.