ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

original win98 games

<< < (4/4)

Ath:
Ok, so I'll stop searching for my old Win 98 Plus CD I thought I had laying around somewhere, seems I didn't keep it during one of the bigger clean-ups I did during the last 10 years :huh:

Clara Listensprechen:
I hadn't seen a picture of Win 1 or 2 either.  I started out with windows 3.0 and DOS 5.  At work we actually had DOS 3.3 installed with no windows.
-techidave (March 13, 2011, 06:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
There wouldn't have been any Windows using DOS 3.3 because that was pre-Windows. That was the first version of DOS that got serial port networking capability (as opposed to the coax cable type proto-Ethernet / acoustic coupler networking that was state of the art at the time).

Yeah, I started out with DOS 1, aka CP/M. :)

Clara Listensprechen:
I recently setup a virtual 98 and am wanting to find the games.
-techidave (March 12, 2011, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you have a special purpose for that virtual? I can't see much use for it, besides the quick boot-time on modern hardware, but usually more modern virtual machines, like those running WinXP, revive from paused state quick enough and have a bigger feature-set and matureness over W98. :-\
-Ath (March 13, 2011, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I still have Win 3.11 squirrelled away.  I got MS OSs going back to 2.0 because they've got different sorts of maneuverabilities and when it comes to hard disk recovery, a lot of times using a different version of DOS can be helpful.  Some guy had a head crash on an XP and the Rescue disk would give me guff.  I recovered what data was undamaged by the crash by using a Win 98 bootup/recovery disk.

Oh yeah---and Win3.11 still recognizes the ANSI driver. Win95 did also, to a limited extent but things got too far away from the ANSI driver beginning with Win98 SE and later.  Yeah--I'm an ANSI artist and I notice stuff like that. And there was DOS Edit--really the bee's knees for embedding low-ASCII control codes. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version