ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

original win98 games

<< < (3/4) > >>

Flippertie:
Off topic but:

If you're trying to set up a '98 machine you might find this amusing:

"Man upgrades Windows 1.0 to Windows 7 [video]"

Guy started with DOS 5, and upgraded to Win 1.0 and on through Win 7.  Stunning thing is that a couple of games he installed were still playable 23 virtual years later. 

Now i'm an oldie - (once tried to use a windows 2 machine, and fell back to Dos as more efficient) - but I've never even seen a screen shot of windows 1.0 before....

techidave:
I hadn't seen a picture of Win 1 or 2 either.  I started out with windows 3.0 and DOS 5.  At work we actually had DOS 3.3 installed with no windows.

Flippertie:
Win 3.0/3.1 was the first version of windows that made any real commercial impact. Before that (91? 92?) I was coding COBOL on HP3000 minis. Z-fold green and white paper and line printers.....  And we'd ride mastodons to work...

Ath:
I recently setup a virtual 98 and am wanting to find the games.
-techidave (March 12, 2011, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you have a special purpose for that virtual? I can't see much use for it, besides the quick boot-time on modern hardware, but usually more modern virtual machines, like those running WinXP, revive from paused state quick enough and have a bigger feature-set and matureness over W98. :-\

techidave:
No special purpose Ath.  Just did it for kicks more than anything else.  Probably won't use much at all if any.  I don't think I had done a windows 98 install for about 5 years, so it was good experience  :huh:  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version