ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > The Getting Organized Experiment of 2009

Looking for Suggestions for Name of New Blog that Will be Abandoned

<< < (4/6) > >>

Paul Keith:
Which CMS ? Take a look at some of the free php cms - joomla, drupal, wordpress, mambo,textpattern, movable type, etc. all free and even some good themes are there for free.
--- End quote ---

Oh sorry. I should have clarified. I understand that there are technically free CMS out there (although I didn't realize Wordpress was one of them) but they still require paying for a domain and also understanding their entire landscape and that's something I couldn't fully understand either and I still haven't found a way to understand them without actually paying for something.

Take the three Copyblogger ads:

http://getpremise.com/

http://www.studiopress.com/

http://scribeseo.com/

Do I need these? Do I not need these? Only way to find out is to pay and I can't afford them.

It's not easy to get audience for site but if you're on platform like DC and also comment on other productivity blogs then slowly you'll get a lot of traffic. So i doubt if it'll in any way is burden on mouser.
--- End quote ---

Yeah a blog is really not going to be any burden for me or DC.. unless you are serving up huge videos, etc.
If you want we can create a blog for you at WHATEVER.dcmembers.com (preferably paulkeith.dcmembers.com); i think wordpress is your clear choice for a blog engine.
--- End quote ---

Thanks. Not that I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth; believe me I'll take the offer up in a snap if I didn't have these fears but:

1) Video is the least of my worries since that could always be Youtube'd.

2) Content is the first sore point. I'm just not one to believe that what I write doesn't impact the brand of everything else in DC. That leads to proof readers and it also leads to being careful with what I say and comment on other sites as to not undermine DC.

3) Speaking of comments. I'm writing an abandoned blog. I'm not really sure I can comment often in other sites. Worse, I don't really like commenting positively underneath topics if they didn't change my life but critical comments don't exactly lead back to return visitors.

4) Then there's monetization. DC doesn't really have ads but I'm not already donating to DC (not even the fundraiser) and now I'm draining some more funds away from mouser. I'd rather if the blog can at least get some dollars back each month but having ads changes the philosophical image of DC.

5) Finally, priviledge. If mouser creates a blog for me, then what's to say someone else wouldn't want mouser to create a blog for them too? I'm not saying they'll outright request it but it opens up the question as to why everyone else can't have a blog and it could impact the community in a subtle unforeseen manner.

40hz:
Finally, priviledge. If mouser creates a blog for me, then what's to say someone else wouldn't want mouser to create a blog for them too? I'm not saying they'll outright request it but it opens up the question as to why everyone else can't have a blog and it could impact the community in a subtle unforeseen manner.
-Paul Keith (March 13, 2011, 08:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm guessing that if anyone else asked nicely, Mouser would give them their own blog too. 8)

mouser:
One of the reasons we are having a fundraiser is to pay for our high hosting costs.  One of the reasons we have high hosting costs is because we have a nice powerful server that can host member sites.  People are donating so we can do this -- that's what it's there for.  A blog, especially one thats not super popular, is almost no drain on a webserver at all, so it's not a big deal.

Having said that, as app has pointed out, there are tons of good free blogging platforms that are just as good.  Up to you!

mahesh2k:
Oh sorry. I should have clarified. I understand that there are technically free CMS out there (although I didn't realize Wordpress was one of them) but they still require paying for a domain and also understanding their entire landscape and that's something I couldn't fully understand either and I still haven't found a way to understand them without actually paying for something.
--- End quote ---
You don't need a domain if you're not concerned about branding. Wordpress can be installed on paul.dcmembers.com subdomain. There is no charge for using someone's subdomain if they're offering you free hosting. If you feel to host your content on other free subdomain blogging service then try typepad or tumblr. Another free hosting site is dreamhostapps.com where you can host your content for free without paying a cent but URL is a bit cluttered on that site.

Take the three Copyblogger ads:
http://getpremise.com/
http://www.studiopress.com/
http://scribeseo.com/
Do I need these? Do I not need these? Only way to find out is to pay and I can't afford them.
--- End quote ---
You don't need getpremise because your goal of using blog has nothing to do with premise platform. You don't need studiopress theme because there are free wordpress themes like hybrid theme or thematic as alternative to studiopress. You don't need scribeseo because it is for copywriting and keyword optimization. Unless you're working on heavy on-page optimization there is no need for scribeseo. You just wordpress and good free wordpress theme for now to showcase your content.

Paul Keith:
Hmm...that is tempting.

I am thinking of branding though. Not in the sense of marketing but I want a name that if people stumble upon the url would make them think it's a productivity blog hence why I made this topic.

I've heard of the others except for dreamhostapps. Set-up does look a bit confusing with the usage of the word real web hosting.

I'm also lost at the themes you mentioned: hybrid and thematic. Are premium themes just themes that allow for css?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version