ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Safe use of USB drives? Is there anything like a USB sandbox application?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Ath:
Maybe a special set of physical connector should be designed for this situation, unique to that lab, and only installed on the computers over there, ofcourse.
Quite a laborious job, but then no external devices could be used on those computers, and the USB sticks could only be used in that lab. Combined with USB-Switch you could have a pretty secure operation.

wraith808:
Isn't this what YubiKey was supposed to solve?
-Paul Keith (March 11, 2011, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do not think that does what you think it does. [1]

That is a login and authentication key, so that you don't have to remember passwords.  A completely different animal from what he's talking about.  And in a lab with a lot of users, a solution coming from the bottom up should probably not include a hardware portion...

Paul Keith:
Yeah, I haven't actually tried the yubikey but isn't that what a sandbox really is? A login and authentication key in a limited environment?

As much as hardware is a pain, isn't it sort of impossible for software to ever really match hardware in this case? A software could easily have a single point of breakage and we're talking about complicated data transfer.

wraith808:
Yeah, I haven't actually tried the yubikey but isn't that what a sandbox really is? A login and authentication key in a limited environment?

As much as hardware is a pain, isn't it sort of impossible for software to ever really match hardware in this case? A software could easily have a single point of breakage and we're talking about complicated data transfer.
-Paul Keith (March 12, 2011, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

No.  A sandbox is an area where you can do more than login/authenticate- you actually *operate* in that environment.  Take sandboxie for an example.  *Everything* that IE does in a sandbox in sandboxie is strictly restricted to that area of the sandbox- memory operations, disk operations, everything.  So if something does something bad, it won't affect anything outside of the sandbox.  Sort of like a virtual machine.

Paul Keith:
Hmm... yeah, that's what I thought yubikey was. A usb drive. It's just a login tool?

I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version