ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Safe use of USB drives? Is there anything like a USB sandbox application?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Paul Keith:
Isn't this what YubiKey was supposed to solve?

4wd:
WRT AutoRun, one of the latest Windows updates, (KB971029), disables it completely for USB with XP onwards.

Could they all have their schedulers set to copy their data files to folders on a remote PC to which users had read-only permissions, so users could get the data off that, without being able to affect the originating PCs?-rjbull (March 11, 2011, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Conversely, can Security/Group Policy be used to set USB drives to write-only so there's no chance of reading anything off of them?

Stoic Joker:
WRT AutoRun, one of the latest Windows updates, (KB971029), disables it completely for USB with XP onwards.-4wd (March 11, 2011, 10:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes! That's what I was thinking of earlier, but I didn't have time to look it up ... Thank you.

Conversely, can Security/Group Policy be used to set USB drives to write-only so there's no chance of reading anything off of them?-4wd (March 11, 2011, 10:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so, about the only thing they could leverage there is the NTFS permissions, and that would (not work on FAT drives) tend to make a mess.

SKA:
USB Switch (free software):
http://www.trinit-soft.de/en/usb-waechter/

SKA

4wd:
USB Switch (free software):
http://www.trinit-soft.de/en/usb-waechter/-SKA (March 12, 2011, 12:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's only to control what devices can be connected by the looks - it won't actually stop someone running nasty program X if it happens to be on an allowed device.

OK, just installed it and all it seems to do is block new unrecognised USB devices from being installed.  After that, any type of access seems to be allowed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version