topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Pirate vs. Paying Customer illustrated  (Read 36134 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pirate vs. Paying Customer illustrated
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2010, 10:08 AM »
There is no excuse or justification to pirating someone's work.

QFE. And your thoughts pretty much mirror my own.  I thought it very telling when someone in another thread on DC was very skeptical that all of the music on my computer was purchased in one form or another.  It's not that hard not to pirate- just decide not to do it and don't.  For any reason or no reason.  Two wrongs has *never* made anything right. 

But everyone has to realize that for themselves- or not.  No matter how much you tell someone, no matter how much protection that you put in, no matter how many PSAs you annoy your paying customers with, pirates will pirate, because it's a state of mind that *none* of that will change.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Agreed. I don’t have anything on my machines that isn't either licensed or free/donationware. I don’t harass those who do; I just don’t do it myself. I used to have to go over to my brother's house and clean up his computer about every three months because he is the opposite: he doesn’t have anything on his box that IS licensed. And he never updates whatever AV I install for him. I don’t even bother anymore; got tired of it. There are those who could never afford the stuff otherwise, and there are those who just don’t feel like paying for anything. Se la vie - I am not able to change that and so I don’t even try.

The only music I have here that wasn’t purchased is about 30-40 tracks that I downloaded from the original Napster -before they were sued and declared to be non-legal. And all of those were clips I wanted for slideshows that weren't commercially available otherwise, though some are available now. I was just brought up differently I guess and it hasn’t worn off. And at my age I don’t think it will now!  :P

Doesn’t make me special; it's just the way I am. To each...

Thanks!

Jim

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2010, 05:39 AM »
New website on how to fight ACTA:
http://www.anti-acta.../Frontpage/Itemid,1/

"ACTA has several features that raise significant potential concerns for consumers privacy and civil liberties, for innovation and the free flow of information on the Internet, legitimate commerce, and for developing countries ability to choose policy options that best suit their domestic priorities and level of economic development."

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2011, 03:59 AM »
Arise, thread, arise! (Necro thread revival!)

Another example of why it's better to pirate when DRM is concerned:

When it comes to EA games, you really should watch what you say.

That's what one BioWare forum-goer learned after possibly being banned by asking BioWare, an EA studio, "Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?" The comment resulted in a temporary 72 hour ban, but more importantly meant that the user couldn't play a brand-new copy of Dragon Age II during that time.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2011, 05:05 AM »
Arise, thread, arise! (Necro thread revival!)

Another example of why it's better to pirate when DRM is concerned:

When it comes to EA games, you really should watch what you say.

That's what one BioWare forum-goer learned after possibly being banned by asking BioWare, an EA studio, "Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?" The comment resulted in a temporary 72 hour ban, but more importantly meant that the user couldn't play a brand-new copy of Dragon Age II during that time.

Update: We just received word from EA's Andrew Wong that the situation was actually an error. "Unfortunately, there was an error in the system that accidentally suspended a user's entire account," he told Ars. "Immediately upon learning of the glitch, EA took steps to restore the user's macro account and apologized for the inconvenience."

Hmmm... Maybe. Not sure if I believe that or not, but whatever. Could be true. Could be back-peddling.

Still, what happened there happens regularly elsewhere.

In one game that I paid for, I complained and then been banned with in-game punishments. I got pretty pissed at that and turned it into a game to screw with them while I was banned. What was really fun was letting them know that they'd broken some laws and could face prosecution (which was true, but I'd never pursue it).

In another game that I paid for, there was an extended service outage. After a while (and a fair amount of booze), I wrote in to support with an extremely blunt email about their incompetence. I received a snarly letter back. As far as I'm concerned, if you're the one dropping the ball, you should brace yourself to get what you deserve -- lambasted for your incompetence. Ahem... Who's the one that f***ed up?

Getting banned, ignored, or marginalized is common in the game industry.

But you can't really pirate an online service. (In one sense anyways.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2011, 01:38 PM »

True, but in this case I don't think Dragon Age 2 is an online game. AFAIK it just uses the internet for DRM purposes.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2011, 06:15 PM »

True, but in this case I don't think Dragon Age 2 is an online game. AFAIK it just uses the internet for DRM purposes.

Ugh! That's fugly.

The original post is so right. If you want games/music/movies that work properly... Sigh...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker